chapter 7

He came to the lunch yesterday and Amma, Ma welcomed him with open arms. Those two bonded with him better than me which was kind of obvious, I guess. I just can't seem to get along with people easily but somehow I was warming with him in a short time. He seemed to spread the same warmth around which my Appa used to.

His company always feels comforting on many levels. I didn't get to meet him later but I am thinking of asking him more about himself if I get to see him again which I hope I will. I don't know why lately I am longing to see him, to hear him. The day at the cafe was better than usual today as I could see more faces seating around and enjoying the coffees and cakes. 

It might be the effect of our small promotional strategy and I am glad that he gave me this idea. Though this is not a relief and I still need to promote it in a different part maybe. I will think about this. I nodded while rubbing my hands on the apron and got into a pair of gloves.

I looked at the cake I just baked and thought of decorating it beautifully. I let people take their time to get over with their snacks and thought of busying myself with my work before I get new customers. 

I put the toppings into a plastic cone and cut it by the edge carefully. I placed the cake on the cakestand and moved it at a slow speed while putting the cream carefully on the top edge of it. I painted the rest of the cake according to how I wanted it to present and I was happy with the final outcome. 

I smiled widely while looking at the final outcome. "That looks great." I jerked hard while seeing to the side. He smiled while bending on the counter and watching me.

"When did you get here?" I asked and took out the gloves. "Just some minutes back," He said with a shrug. 

"What's that flavour?" He asked further. "Hazelnut," I said. 

"Can I buy that?" He asked. I chuckled and shook my head. "Is it someone's birthday?" I asked.

"Can't I buy a cake for myself?" He asked while making a dramatic face. I rolled my eyes as I walked towards him and wiped my hands on the apron. "Will you eat the whole cake by yourself?" I asked.

He laughed and shook his head. "I will share that with my roommates and will ask them to visit this amazing owner someday," He said while making me smile.

"That sounds like a good idea but you can't buy it," I said. He frowned. "Why not?" He asked.

I shrugged. "You can take it for free," I said. He sighed and shook his head. 

"Enough of eating on house. I want to buy it with my hard earn money," he said and added, "I want to pay you for the efforts you put in while making just one cake. I saw it with my eyes today and it doesn't feel like having it for free."

"Then go away. You can't have it," I said and put the cake carefully inside the glass below. He sighed.

"You sure are stubborn," He murmured and added, "I also won't come here from tomorrow if you keep giving me free coffee. I feel like I am using you." I laughed at his drama.

"Then think that way," I said and took out a hazelnut pastry that I made in the morning. I slid it before him along with a spoon.

"Taste it and tell me. I will let you buy," I said and added, "But I won't charge for coffee. Rest... The choice is yours." He smiled and nodded.

"Alright. I am fine with this progress," He said and smiled again as he took a small bite. He made an impressive face while chewing on it. "Can I ask where did you learn?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Appa taught me. He wanted to be a baker and I dreamt of becoming a barista. So we decided to start a joint business. So yes, here am I... Trying to complete that dream," I said and smiled sadly.