chapter 5

I waited for the clock to strike 6 today. There was a couple sitting far in the corner of the cafe as they sipped the latte. There was no one else which wasn't unusual anyway. I didn't feel bad about it today as I was eager to see the result after the marketing.

He generated new hope in me by giving me this idea. Now it's 10 minutes past 6 and he hasn't still arrived. I don't have his number as well, as I didn't think of exchanging it before. Now I think I wish I would have.

But then I got to know his name just yesterday. I still don't know anything about him so it wasn't fine as well. The door got opened and I got excited but my excitement didn't last long when two girls walked inside.

Well, I know I should be happy to see a customer but I don't know why I was more eager to see him. I looked at the clock again. The minute hand was close to 6 and it was already 30 minutes past the promised time.

Did he change his mind? My eyes moved to the pastry that I kept away from all the eyes for him. I sighed and moved my gaze to the two girls who now stood before me after scanning through the menu. They pressed a smile when they placed their orders and asked them to take a seat.

I looked in the direction of the door before walking back to the coffee machines to get their coffees ready.

I stayed up till 8 in the evening but had no luck. He didn't come and I couldn't wait any longer. So I thought of packing my stuff to catch the bus. It would take me some time to walk up to the bus stop and then 50 minutes to get down at my town's stop and further few minutes to reach my home so I needed to get out right at this moment.

While sitting on the bus my mind kept thinking of all the possibilities. He might be stuck at work. It wasn't a big deal. Besides he didn't have my number so he could inform me as well. It was fine. He was just a stranger who might have changed his mind.

Sadness grabbed my mind as I kept watching outside the window and sighed deeply.

I walked through that crowded street which was the same as always. I always felt joy while coming here after work but I was saddened today. I stopped by the gate and moved where he went last night.

The lights were on in that small bungalow. Was he there? I don't know. I shouldn't be a burden and maybe I should do something on my own. He has already given me the idea so maybe I can execute it as well. I should try.

With that determination, I walked inside the house and thought of starting some work.

I stayed up till late at night while making sketches and painting banners. Ma and Amma helped me as well with all the enthusiasm. I wasn't much convicted with my work as I was never good with paintings but both of my special ladies supported me while saying it was good.

Of course!

I prayed for one thing as I got to sleep. It should work. I really wanted this to work anyhow.

When I blinked my eyes open in the morning, I was greeted with bright sunlight. I was late. I cursed myself beneath my breath and rushed out of the bed to get ready for the most important days of my life.

I got into a beige and purple cotton saree. I put on a bindi and left half of my hair loose while clutching the remaining above. I put on a small black bindi and small earrings.

I let out a deep sigh and took my bags as I got out hurriedly and froze at my place to see him helping Amma in the yard. I walked out and got into my sandals while standing in varanda.

He wore a simple plain faint brown coloured shirt and folded his sleeves up. He paired it with black jeans and a pair of shoes. His hair wasn't tidy as always thought. Rather they made their way on his forehead while giving him a more casual look.