chapter 12

I looked at him while tilting my head to the side as he kept staring at the musical instruments in the house. He moved his gaze at the pictures on the wall further and looked around the small living room.

"Do you play?" He asked. I nodded before speaking further, "I have learnt to play the sitar."

He made an impressive face. "That's cool," he said and looked at that instrument again. My eyes moved from him to my instrument and then at him again.

"I like classical music mostly and some traditional dance forms. We have a cultural fest in the month of Onam here where everyone showcases their talent," I said further while filling him. He nodded a little.

"I have heard about it but didn't get to witness. I guess I will in the coming year, right?" He asked further. I nodded with a smile. "Will you play for me?" He asked.

I looked around to see if both ladies actually left and was relieved when I didn't see their sandals. I looked back at him and gave a little nod.

He grinned from ear to ear and took his seat on the couch. I sighed and took that instrument in my hand before getting settled on the floor before him. He slid down from the couch on the floor as well to sit before me.

I adjusted the instrument before me and took a deep breath before moving my fingers on the strings. This was one of the first notes that I learnt. It was a classical Malayalam song my Amma used to hear every day. I asked my teacher to teach me the same so I could play it for Amma.

It was a romantic melody and I thought of playing it for him even when he won't be able to understand it. His face held calmness as he kept listening to my music with all his attention as he got immersed completely.

I stopped after a couple of minutes and he clapped while showing his most genuine smile. "Beautiful," he said while keeping his eyes on me.

I felt conscious all of sudden and looked down at the strings while getting shy under his gaze that kept scanning me.

"You are a hidden gem," he said again. "I thought you liked modern music?" I asked. He nodded.

"I like fast-paced songs but this was different. It is something that touches you and gives those right feels," He said again and smiled.

"Thanks," I said in a low voice while putting the sitar away neatly. He kept watching my every move.

I hid from his gaze and kept looking anywhere but him. He was making me nervous now. This was the right opportunity to ask him.

"What should I cook for you?" I asked instead idiotically. He chuckled and shook his head. "I forgot to give you Modak and Puran Poli yesterday. So bought them now," he said and moved to get his bag.

He took two containers from it and slid them towards me. I smiled widely and opened then both. That amazing smell hit my nostrils while making me hungry.

"Aai has asked you to heat them before you eat and pour this one on both," He said and moved another small container towards me.

I took it and opened it with confusion. It was homemade ghee. I could tell it was freshly made, I can tell that with just that smell. I smiled widely and got up from my seat while holding all three containers carefully.

"I'll heat them," I said and ran to the kitchen. "Easy," He shouted before rushing behind me.

I put the modak in the cooker and kept them on the gas. I moved and took a pan further and kept it on another side of the gas. He kept watching me while standing beside me.

When everything was warm enough, I took it out on the plate. I opened the container of ghee and poured it on modaks from above. I took the container away and took one modak.