𝟬𝟬𝟵.

RAMONA SIPPED HER TEA. sitting next to Fiona Tung-Cheng and her Aunt Victoria as they were afternoon tea with her mother. Victoria looked rather comical with a dramatic opera-length necklace of mine-cut cognac diamonds casually draped over her gingham shirt. Obviously, Ah Ma was doling out jewelry again, something she seemed to be doing with greater frequency these days.

"I've been labeling every piece in the vault and putting them in cases marked with all your names," Ah Ma had informed Ramona, "This way there is no fighting after I'm gone."

"There won't be any fighting, Ah Ma," Ramona insisted.

"You say that now. But look what happened to Madam Lim Boon Peck's family. Or the Hu sisters. Whole families torn apart over jewelry. And not even very good jewelry!" Ah Ma sighed.

The sweetly aromatic kueh lapis and pineapple tarts were arrayed on Longquan celadon dishes, Ah Ma was taking out a diamond and cabochon sapphire choker. 

"This one my father brought back from Shanghai in 1918," Ah Ma said to Fiona in Cantonese. "My mother told me it belonged to a grand duchess who had escaped Russia on the Trans-Siberian Railway with all her jewels sewn into the lining of her coat. Here, try it on."

Fiona put the choker around her neck, and one of Su Yi's Thai lady's maids helped to fasten the delicate antique clasp. The other maid held up a hand mirror, and Fiona peered at her reflection. Even in the waning late afternoon light, the sapphires glistened against her neck. "It's truly exquisite, Ah Ma."

"I've always liked it because these sapphires are so translucent—I've never quite seen a shade of blue like that," Ah Ma said.

Fiona handed back the necklace, and Ah Ma slipped it into a yellow silk pouch before handing it to Fiona. "Nah, you should wear it tonight to the wedding banquet."

"Oh, Ah Ma, I couldn't possibly—" Fiona began.

"Aiyah, moh hak hei, it's yours now. Make sure it goes to Kalliste someday," Ah Ma decreed. She turned to Auntie Alix and said, "Do you need something for tonight?"

Alexandra shook her head. "I brought my triple-strand pearls."

"You always wear those pearls," Victoria complained, casually twirling her new diamonds around her fingers as if they were toy beads.

"I like my pearls. Besides, I don't want to look like one of those Khoo women. Did you see how much jewelry they piled on this morning? Ridiculous."

"Those Khoos sure like to flaunt it, don't they," Victoria said with a laugh, popping one of the crumbly pineapple tarts into her mouth.

"Aiyah, who cares? Khoo Teck Fong's father came from a little village in Sarawak—I will always know him as the man who used to buy my mother's old silver," Ah Ma said dismissively. "Now, speaking of jewelry, I want to talk about Alistair's girlfriend—that starlet."

Alexandra flinched, steeling herself for the onslaught. "Yes, Mummy, I'm sure you were as appalled as I was by that woman's behavior today."

"The audacity of her to accept that ring from the sultana! It was so undignified, not to mention—" Victoria began.

Ah Ma held out her hand to silence Victoria. "Why wasn't I told that Alistair was engaged to her?"

"It just happened a few days ago," Alexandra said bleakly.

"But who is she? Who are her people?"

"I don't know precisely," Alexandra said.

"How is it possible that you don't know the family when your son wants to take her as his wife?" Ah Ma said in astonishment. "Look at Yùtù and Teddy! If Teddy and Yùtù were to get married I wouldn't be any happier in this life. I would die in peace knowing Yùtù married such a wonderful boy with such a wonderful family and career,"