𝟬𝟬𝟮.

BEGINNING on the first day of the Chinese New Year, Singaporeans participate in a most unique ritual. All over the island, people frantically dash around to the homes of family and friends to offer New Year greetings, exchange ang pows, and gobble down food. 

The first two days of the New Year are most crucial, and a strict protocol is observed as people arrange their visits in specific order of seniority—paying respects to the oldest, most esteemed (and usually richest) relatives first. 

Adult children not living at home are expected to visit their parents, younger siblings have to visit each of their older siblings in descending order of age, second cousins twice removed visit first cousins once removed, and after spending all day driving around the city paying tribute to the paternal side, they have to repeat the whole process the next day on the maternal side.

 In large families the whole affair would often involve complicated Excel flow charts, ang pow tracking apps, and plenty of Russian vodka to dull the migraine-inducing confusion of it all. Ramona and Theodore were one of the first to arrive, she hated walking right into the bloodshed of Chinese new year. She came early to prepare herself. "Hi Ah Ma," Ramona smiled, beaming. 

"Oh, Yùtù! You brought Teddy!" Ah Ma smiled happily. 

"Hi Ah Ma," Theodore beamed as he kissed Ah Ma on the cheek. 

"Teddy, could you go and entertain my daughters? I need to speak to Yùtù on her own," Su Yi requested. 

"Of course, Ah Ma," Theodore nodded, leaving the room. 

Ah Ma beckoned for Ramona to sit down next to her. Ramona obliged as Ah Ma then ordered for all of her Lady's maids to leave. "You know that there is no Young Company, don't you? You have nothing to inherit from me, well, except this house," 

"I do know, Uncle Alfred had told me," Ramona replied

"Do you know the story?" Ah Ma asked as Ramona shook her head, all she knew was that there was only a Shang Enterprise, which was funded by the Shang Loong Ma trust, which one day she would be the chief custodian of. 

"Alfred, I, and my other brother who died during world war 2 were chosen as our father's heirs of his large fortune and company. Did you know that my father had chosen my husband for me? He said that James was a good man and would never hurt me. He was right about that. It was only Alfred and me as the heirs after my brother passed away," Ah Ma said as she took a bite of her macaroon

"My father had left me Tyersall Park, and the Shang Loong Ma pays for everything I want, I would be pampered like a princess, but would only support me, and me only. Everything else went to my brother Alfred. My father was a traditional man. And one day, you'll be the custodian of the Shang Loong Ma trust,"

"I have a question, Ah Ma. Why did Uncle Alfred choose me as his heir? he has loads of heirs,"

"Because none of his real heirs want it," Ah Ma replied, "I don't think they could do it, even if they tried. Those Shang's are too busy spending money instead of making it. They will live like me, and so will their children. They all are beneficiaries of the trust and they will be for the rest of their lives, they could never take care of all that money. If Alfred gives custody of the trust to one of them, all of the money would disappear in a heartbeat! Look at Cassandra, all she does is gossip all day long. Do you think someone like her could run Shang Enterprises?" 

Ramona shook her head, thinking about all of her fancy imperial Shang Cousins. "Alfred knew none of his children or grandchildren cut out for running a multi-billion dollar company or trust. I always knew that Nicky was too much like Phillip. Your father only truly loved two things; fishing and his family,"