Episode 16: Failure

I watched as Aurelius wrapped up the first task of the test's second half

I watched as Aurelius wrapped up the first task of the test's second half. Sonata, our proctor, smiled at me. "So far, so good. You're up next."

I bit my lip.

"Give it your best shot," Jude whispered.

I smiled at the kid. "I will!"

"Here you go," Aurelius said as he stretched his hand out of the booth. He gave me a broad smile as he walked out.

"Thanks," I said, reaching out for it. I picked it up as if it were an egg and slowly walked into the booth. Deep breaths, Kanja. Deep breaths.

My lungs filled with air as I sat down and lifted up my shirt. Shivers ran up my stomach. The orb was surprisingly colder against my abdomen than in my hands.

"Oh right, probably should've warned you how freezing it is," Aurelius said, laughing nervously.

"Too late," I mumbled.

"Focus your prana into the sphere," Ms. Key said.

I took another breath and did as she said. My prana flew into the crystal orb relatively quickly.

"Try to spin the prana within the crystal."

"Alright," I said. The metal energy spun around, causing the orb to levitate. "Wait, why is doing that?"

"Your prana must be producing a strong electromagnetic field, turning it into a magnet," Ms. Key said.

"But why is it floating? Is my prana being repealed by me?"

"Hmm, the spin might be the opposite direction of your body's natural rotation."

"Energy rotates?" Aurelius asked.

"You thought it was stationary?" Jude asked. "It's always in constant motion. When it's not used, prana spins inside of our magicum organa. There's actually a way to mess up with a person's energy flow. One needs to release an equally powerful vortex but in the opposite direction."

"How do you know that?" Ms. Key asked.

"I-I read it in a book that my brother gave me."

The proctor laughed. "Well, that book was right. Such a method exists, but it's not the most efficient way of stopping an enemy from using their magic. Hitting one's pressure points takes less energy, though it has its own shortcomings."

"Is that so?" I asked, stepping out of the booth.

"Yes, one has to be fast and precise. Lack those two things, and you're better off fighting normally."

Speed and precision. Wonder if I could do it. I am pretty fast, and my precision isn't anything to scoff at either.

"Do you know anyone who knows how to use acupuncture?" I asked.