Episode 123: Bond of Purple

Lei

The top of the barrier crackled with energy as bolts of lightning passed through. Every spot the lightning struck became blackened.

Burai jumped as he avoided them. "Seems you've lost your cool."

I gasped and shook my head. Ugh. I had to remember to maintain my composure. I couldn't let him get to me.

Taking a deep breath, I launched several burst of wind toward Burai while maintaining the wind barrier around me. Burai was fast. I couldn't afford to lower my guard around him.

The air hummed with tension, charged with the raw power of my storm. Burai's taunts echoed in my mind, fueling the tempest within me. I wouldn't just stand there and be the butt of his jokes. No, I was Lei Lan, and my name would be synonymous with victory.

With a fierce cry, I unleashed a torrent of wind blades, each one sharper than the last, slicing through the air with a deadly hum. Burai's eyes widened slightly as he realized the gravity of the situation. He might have been fast, but even he couldn't dodge forever.

He leapt and twisted, but the blades nicked him, drawing first blood, and a cheer erupted from the crowd.

"Is that all you've got, Lei?" Burai taunted, wiping a smear of blood from his cheek. "I expected more from you."

I smirked, feeling the wind gather at my fingertips. "You haven't seen anything yet."

With a snap of my fingers, lightning arched from the barrier above, a spiderweb of electric death. It struck the ground, leaving scorch marks in its wake, and Burai narrowly avoided a direct hit.

The crowd gasped, their eyes wide with anticipation and fear. This was no longer just a schoolyard brawl; it was a display of raw magical prowess.

Burai, for all his bravado, had begun to sweat. His movements were still graceful, but there was a hint of desperation now. He knew he was outmatched, and yet, he smiled.

"You're full of surprises, Lei Lan," he said, his voice barely audible over the roar of the storm. "But so am I."

And with that, he charged, not away from my magic, but directly into it. It was a bold move, one that could end in his defeat or my own. But as he moved closer, I could see the determination in his eyes, the unspoken challenge.

This was it, the moment of truth. I could either falter or rise to the occasion. I chose the latter.

With a battle cry that shook the heavens, I met Burai's charge head-on. The wind howled, the lightning crackled, and the earth itself seemed to hold its breath.

Burai struck the barrier with a relentless furry of kicks. I gritted my teeth as he dashed around, aiming for the weak spots in my wind construct.

"Good luck finding a weak point," I muttered.

Burai snickered. "There's always a weak point!"

My barrier, my defense, was nothing but air—crafted from the zephyrs and gales at my command. That was both a strength and a weakness. But as long as I could maintain my winds and get some slashes on him, I could inflict chip damage on him!

Burai's onslaught was relentless, a barrage of blows that tested the very limits of my control. Each kick sent shockwaves through the air, reflecting and reverberating against the wind that I had woven into a fortress around me. The barrier of green wind rippled like water, distorting with every impact, but it held—barely.

I could feel the strain in my arms, the tension in my fingers as I fought to keep the winds from scattering. Burai's smirk was infuriating, a silent mockery of my efforts. He was pushing me, driving me to the edge, and I teetered on the brink of collapse.