Special: Guiding the Future Generations

*Aurelius*

"You've gotten faster, kid," Papa said, dodging my stick sword.

I took a step back and stabbed forward.

He blocked it with his own wooden sword and pushed back.

I teetered like a top before falling onto the mat made out of dried up grass.

Papa put his hands on his hips and smiled slightly. "Alas, there's still much room to grow."

I lowered my head. "Am I not ready for my first hunt yet?"

He patted my head. "You're getting closer. Continue working at it and you'll pass with flying colors."

I beamed at him. "Like a peacock? Wait, can they even fly?"

He laughed. "It's a saying. And yes, peacocks can fly, just not for long."

I frowned. "Poor birdies. Also, where's that saying from? This is the first I hear of it!"

"It's from far away. Your mom's dad taught it to me."

My shoulders slumped. Grandpa...

Papa knelt down in front of me and put his hands on my shoulders. "You miss him, don't you? Sorry that I couldn't make it back in time."

I wiped my eyes with the sleeve of my lime shirt. "It's fine. I know that you were protecting us."

He looked away. "Yeah, but I failed at it."

I walked over and hugged him. "Don't blame yourself, Papa. You tried your bestest!"

He hugged me back. "But it wasn't enough."

"Dad used to say 'sometimes trying one's best doesn't render the desired result, but it's still worth trying'," a voice called out.

Mama entered the tent, carrying a baby boy swaddled in white blankets.

"Hey, Baby!" I said, pushing myself off the ground and running over to Mom and baby Anthi.

Mom patted little Anthimus's head. "He's still fast asleep, Au."

I lowered my head. "Sorry."

"It's alright. You didn't know."

"You should get some rest before he wakes up, dear."

She nodded. "Alright." Mama turned around and left with my baby brother. The only time she could play or sleep these days was when little Anthi was asleep. Grandma and other women of our village offered to help, but Mama wanted to be there for him. She did the same thing when my other siblings and I were little too. Although, she did give up a little and accepted Grandma's offer to watch over us. Especially after Hadrian's big fall.

"Say, how about we go and play with the others?" Papa asked.

I beamed and nodded.

"Now, where could they be?" Papa said, humming as we walked out of the tent.

"I know! They're probably by the watering hole! Moni wanted to help Mama with chores."

He furrowed his brow. "Let's get going!" he picked me up and put me on his shoulders. "Pluma!" He removed one of the many eagle feathers on his cape. Within seconds it expanded in size.

The villagers gasped, some in excitement, others in worry as Papa surfed the skies on his feather board.

"What's wrong, Papa? Think they got into trouble again?" I asked, patting his head.

"I hope not, but we're never sure."

"Don't worry! Grandma went with them! She'll keep the hungry hyenas away!"