'Tis The Damn Season: Gigi Goode

[A/N: This is a sequel to Dorothea! I'm using they/them pronouns for Y/N to make it more inclusive since I don't personally know everyone who's reading this lol. Anyways, 'tis the damn season and happy holidays to everybody who celebrates!]

GIGI'S POV

If I wanted to know who you were hanging with

While I was gone, I would've asked you

It's the kind of cold, fogs up windshield glass

But I felt it when I passed you

I stepped foot on the airport. I'm coming home from the holidays.. again. I came home for Thanksgiving last month and I'm back just for the weekend in Woodstock to see my family before Hanukkah.

The cold winter air of Chicago welcomes me. A bit unusual to sunny Los Angeles I've been used to. I always come back for the holidays but now, something's different. It's going to be the second time I'll see them.

When I got that text message, I was up at 2AM thinking a lot about where I've been, where I'm going, where I'm headed. And then I got a surprising text from a surprising person.

Hi Gigi! I... honestly don't know what to say. I'm speechless by how much you've achieved in the last few years. You're stunning. I mean, I already knew that then but even more now that you've proved to the world just how much. It takes me back to our afterschool hangouts at the park and our lazy Sunday afternoons helping you sew another outfit or figuring out how to sneak you in drag without your parents knowing. I guess, what I'm basically trying to say is... I miss you. And I'm so so so proud of you. I wish you nothing but the best in this world because you deserve it. If you ever miss your hometown... specifically me, I'm just here. I'm not really going anywhere and you'll have me always.

We haven't talked in years. The last time I saw them was the last time I waved to them before turning my back when I was at the airport on the way to LA. It crushed me because I knew we were never going to be the same again. And they will never know that I loved them.

Hi Y/N!

It was all I could type. I scanned my brain thinking of what to reply to my high school love who never knew.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm honestly surprised to hear from you now. We might not have stayed in touch in the last years but I'm here for you too and I miss you as well so much. x

I mentally slapped myself in the face after realizing how formal it sounded. Before I could think of how to redeem myself they replied.

Wow you replied so quickly! I'm so shocked right now, I saw you on tv and just got overwhelmed lmao.

I chuckled slightly.

That's the Y/N I know! What are you doing awake? It must be late in Woodstock now.

What are YOU doing awake? I checked and it's like 2AM in LA.

Well, touche.

I then called them and we stayed on the phone until the sun rose. But I have no regrets. We caught up with each other, reminisced about past moments, it truly felt like we got back to the old pattern of things even though we did not talk to each other in the past three years.

While we were talking, I wondered why we ever stopped communicating in the first place. Huh. I guess that's something we just grew out of.

Who am I kidding? I gradually stopped talking to them because I was trying to move on from our relationship, which did not even exist in the first place. Not in the romantic kind. Not in the way I wanted it to be.