Chapter 12 -"New suspects..."

As Nandini utters Dhruv's name, Navya expected a strong contention from Shravan's side. However, to her surprise, he asks in a low yet careful voice,

"Why did you say so? Do you have any proof?"

Nandini takes some moments to muster her words and replies in a determined tone,

"When AliyaDi fell from the balcony or I should say someone pushed her from there...she...she must have struggled to save herself. In this process, a piece of cloth from the killer's shirt came into her hand."

She paused for a second and concludes,

"Appa, I have seen that piece of cloth. It's a torn pocket of any Khakee uniform of the police force. Now, you can easily guess why am I accusing Dhruv. Appa, he and Di had a major fight before Di left home. In fact, he was the reason Di wanted to stay alone for some time. He was making her life hell. He even asked me about Di's whereabouts and when I didn't tell he sniffed and found it out. I am sure he again tried to dominate her and probably Di resisted. So, he..."

Her voice gets choked instantly. Just then Navya asks in a perplexed tone,

"Uncle...are you also doubting..."

She keeps her words incomplete. Shravan Murthy roams his embarrassed and bewildered eyes on Nandini and Navya and nears the sofa to sink into it.

"That doesn't prove anything, Nandu. It could be any other policeman. Even in other professions like peons, some factory workers also wear khakee uniforms. It is not enough to accuse Dhruv."

He mouths but it sounds that he himself is not fully convinced with his explanation. Nandini observes it and perches beside her father.

"Appa, I am an aspiring crime reporter. I can distinguish between a police and a peon uniform. My doubt is not baseless. But you didn't answer Navya's question. Why do we feel that you have some doubt about Dhruv in your mind?"

Nandini's words force Shravan to meet his daughter's inquisitive eyes. He takes some moments and then mutters,

"Dhruv was out of the city for 2 days. Ummm...for the days when Aliya was here and probably committed suicide. I even asked him and he said that he was in Rachi for some case investigation."

"He said that! That means you are not convinced. Have you cross-checked?"

Nandini's voice is laced with doubt. Shravan bobs in positive and replies,

"Yes, I have. Just before coming over here. He lied. He was on leave for those days."

Navya thumps on the chair.

"That means...that means he might come here. Uncle, please come to the police station with us. They are not fully cooperating with Nandini. In fact, we have to get...AliyaDi's dead...dead body after post-mortem. We need to see the ballistic report too. Without your influence and intervention, it won't be easy for us. Please, Uncle."

Navya sounds desperate. Shravan's eyes flicker for a moment.

"She was my daughter, Navya. Whatever conflicts we had, still, she was my daughter and I won't let her death remain unsolved. Whether it is murder or suicide I have to find out the reason."

He turns at Nandini and adds,

"Let's go. On the way, give me every detail that you have found out so far. Each and every minute information is necessary. Come..."

He gets up and within a minute, all three leave the hotel to head to the police station.

.............................................

Manik was tuning his guitar chords when two slender naked hands snake him from behind and trail downwards to his upper chest. Manik immediately grabs them and jerks from his upper torso.

"How many times I have to tell you Rose that I don't like this clingy nature of yours? We both work in this Motel, so, maintain that decency. In any case, I have my performance. So, don't disturb me."

Manik vents his annoyance while flipping at Rose Kimathy. She giggles showing her sexy waves and occupies the opposite seat of Manik. Mischief and raunch are palpable in her flickering eyes.

"But how long are you going to serve this place, Sexy? If I don't disturb you today then probably the police will disturb you tomorrow."

She mouths mysteriously while crossing her legs in a sultry manner. Manik's forehead wrinkles in suspicion. He keeps the guitar aside and rises from the chair.

"Why should the police disturb me? They have already taken my statement. I have told them everything."

He says confidently and saunters to the bar corner to get some drink. It's cold outside and he is feeling fatigued. Rose again giggles and asks in a suspicious tone,

"Did you really tell them everything? I don't think so."

Manik immediately turns at her. The sinister smile plastered on her lips makes him uneasy. In a hesitant voice, he asks,

"What do you mean?"

Rose gets up from her seat and ambles at him in a slinky manner. Her eyes are beaming with an unknown emotion. She stands very close to Manik and skims her manicured nails along his jawline. Revulsion is shown in Manik's eyes.

"I mean, Aliya Murthy. I know she was crazy about you and I also know that you conveniently hid this secret from the police. But how long? Now, I think am not disturbing you, Honey. Think about it."

She tip-toes and pecks Manik's cheek.

"Bye...See you at the performance."

She sounds dangerously calm and leaves Manik moored in the place. He gulps the drink in a go and mumbles,

"You can't blackmail me, Rose. I am innocent. So, I don't need to be scared. Tomorrow I will go to the police station and tell them everything."

He lifts the guitar and leaves for his performance.

..............................................

It is 9 pm. However, it is looking like midnight in this hill station. Shravan Murthy, Nandini and Navya come out of the police station. Tomorrow the police will hand over Aliya's body to them. However, they allowed them to see her body after post-mortem. Of course, Shravan's influence worked. Since then, Nandini and Navya are crying silently. Sometimes it's very hard to face the reality. Shravan keeps his hands on both the girls' heads and they dash on his chest with a loud sob.

"I am sorry, Appa. I wish I would have told you everything about Di. I wish I would have stopped her coming here...huuuuu(Sobbing)"

Nandini's quivering frame is plastered to her father. Shravan fondles her back and consoles her,

"Shhhh...come down. Don't blame yourself. Even I am equally responsible for this. I wish I would have tried to understand her more. Then maybe she wouldn't have hidden things from me."

Shravan lets out a lamentable sigh. Only then, a person passes them almost hitting Nandini on her shoulder. Nandini cries suppressedly,

"Ouch..."

Her eyes meet that person's exasperated face. He mouths a short sorry and instantly vanishes amidst the darkness. Nandini keeps on staring at his fading frame.

"What happened, Nandini? Did you get hurt?"

Navya enquires while observing her baffled state. Nandini almost whispers,

"Harshad Saxena. What is he doing here?"

Author's note: The mystery coagulated more. Keep reading and voting for regular updates.🙏❤