Chapter 18 - "Sweet secret..."

"Ladies and Gentlemen! Tonight, I won't sing any Rock or Disco. Instead, I am gonna perform a romantic song that is very close to my heart because my Dad used to love it and often sang it for my Mom. Tonight, I will sing that song because I think I am also feeling the same emotion...towards someone."

Manik mouths tenderly while gripping the guitar. Cabir bites his lips and gives a mischievous smile while the audience hoots cheerfully,

"Awwwwww....we love youuuu...!"

Manik roams his eyes on the audience but can't locate Nandini or Navya anywhere. A sigh of disappointment comes out of his mouth. Cabir beats the drum and Manik adjusts the mike and starts singing.

"Ek Ajnabi heseena se yoon mulaaqaat ho gayi" (I happened to meet a beautiful stranger girl)

"Phir kyaa huaa ye naa poochho kuch aisi baat ho gayi" (What happened after that, don't ask me because such things happened that I can't tell)

.............................................

A Toto stops in front of the Motel Mount and two beautiful girls cladded in overcoat and caps get down from it. It's a misty and windy night. Roads are bleak and silent but the lights and the melodious music coming from the Motel are keeping them alive. They pay the fare and stride to the entrance. The guard asks them if they have a booking for any table. One of the girls answers,

"Yes, we have. In fact, we are invited by someone."

The guard doesn't enquire further and lets them go inside. Both enter and the music hits their ears. One of the girls whispers in her companion's ear,

"Why did you lie, MD that we have a reservation? See, no table is vacant. Do we have to stand up and watch the whole program like this?

"Nans, if I hadn't lied then the guard didn't let us enter and we would have kept on standing on the road like fools. At least, here we can feel hot and I didn't entirely lie, right? Manik invited us...but where is he?"

MD aka Navya tries to search for a known face amidst the partially lit hall. Only then, Nandini elbows her to draw her attention to the performer singing on the dais.

"Woh achaanak aa gayi yoon nazar ke saamne

Jaise nikal aayaa ghata se chaand" (She came all of a sudden in front of my eyes as if the moon coming out of the clouds)

"Chehre pe zulfen bikhri hui thi din me raat ho gayi" (Her hair was spread on her face as if night had fallen in the day itself)

Navya's eyes bulge out of its sockets. She mouths with a whistle,

"Manik Malhotra, tonight's performer! Now, what is this fish?"

"That of course he will tell us. For now, let's enjoy the night."

Nandini utters in a flat tone. She pulls Navya with her hand and proceeds to a place from where they can see Manik clearly.

"Khoobsoorat baat ye chaar pal ka saath ye

Saari umar mujhko rahega yaad" (This beautiful thing, this togetherness of a few moments, I'll remember it all my life)

"Main akela tha magar ban gayi woh hamsafar