Chapter 9 - What The Hell, Kacchan?

The following morning, Midoriya woke up to a sharp kick in the shin.

"Ow..." He peeled his eyes open and tried to roll over to check the clock, but was instead met with a mess of black hair. "What the..." He lifted his head to survey his surrounding as best he could in the dark room. Then he remembered. He was sandwiched between Hanta and Neito. The three brothers had joined him last night as a way of comforting him and had subsequently fallen asleep.

He tried to wiggle to make a bit of room for himself under the extremely warm covers, which led to a - rather unfairly -  hand being draped across his face. He heard Neito mumble something into his pillow, clearly still asleep. Midoriya resigned to his fate and closed his eyes again, hoping for sleep to welcome him back.

I didn't.

"Guys?" The door was flung open by Hizashi, panic stricken. He sighed when the light from the hallway elicited four sets of complaining from the room. "Shota, they're fine. They're in here."

"All of them?" Midoriya lifted his head as Shota appeared in the doorway beside his husband, Neito's hand falling back to the pillow. "As cute as this is, you all need to get up. School awaits."

"But Daaaaad." Hitoshi groaned from the edge of the bed. 

"Don't 'but Daaaaad' me. Get your lazy asses up." 

"Language." Hitoshi muttered, then giggled to himself. 

Unimpressed, Shota flicked switch of the ceiling light and stepped further into the room, tearing the covers off the four boys. "Sorry, Midoriya, you can stay in bed." 

"But I have school?" He said, puzzled. Either side of him, the others were rolling out of bed - Hanta more haphazardly since he flopped onto the floor, but still.

"I spoke to Nezu and he said it's fine for you to stay home until you feel you can return to school." Shota said calmly, ushering the other boys out the room to get ready. 

"No, I want to go in today. I already missed one day, I don't wanna get behind-" 

His rambling was cut off by Shota's stern yet soft tone. "Midoriya you haven't had enough time to properly let everything... sink in."

"My Mom's death was my fault." Midoriya clenched the bedsheets in his fists. "Blue Crossed somehow knows that I am All Might's successor, that's why she was targeted. I can't let anyone else be hurt because of me. I need to get stronger to take down whoever the hell Blue Crossed is because I owe Mom that at least."

Shota looked to Hizashi for help, but the blond simply shook his head. He went to stand next to Shota and said, "We understand. The others walk to school, so you can go with them or we can drive you." Midoriya smiled awkwardly, then headed for his closet to retrieve his uniform - whilst he was still asleep after the police station fiasco, Shota had had the things he'd need in the near future brought from his home to the house.

Hizashi led Shota out the room and back to theirs. 

"Hizashi it's insane for him to go back so soon. He needs time to recover-"

"Shota, stop." Hizashi held his husband by the shoulders. "You're not listening to what he wants. Everyone deals with grief in their own way, and training and school could be his. Plus, you've seen his analytical skills, he could actually be some help with the Blue Crossed case." 

Shota searched his mind for a way to contradict everything Hizashi had just said. Alas, he drew a blank. "Dammit." He muttered, letting his head fall to the blond's shoulder. "I hate it when you're right."

"Yeah, I know you do." Hizashi chuckled, hand brushing through Shota's tangled hair. 

"HITO! HAVE YOU SEEN MY HAIRSPRAY?"