Chapter 15 - One Aizawa Down

WARNINGS: stab wound, broken bone, blood, slight panic attack

It turned out that the wound on Hitoshi's waist was the work of a knife, the doctor had confirmed. It had been a clean in-and-out stab, with no major internal damage, luckily. The wound had been stitched and wrapped in bandages.

Hitoshi's left arm, however, hadn't been so lucky. Fractured in two places and a dislocated at the shoulder, rendering his entire arm useless while it was healing in the cast, and apparently will take weeks to fully recover.

"The rest of his body is a little worse for wear, but the majority bruises and smaller cuts should heal in a week or two." The doctor explained to Shota and Hizashi. "As long as he's kept on bedrest and any wounds that reopen are cleaned and closed as soon as possible, he should be right as rain in no time." Shota nodded and sat down in the chair beside Hitoshi's bed.

He still hadn't woken up from the anaesthetic used when the doctors had to fix up his arm. Shota could see the bruising from his shoulder seeping out from below the bandages, all purple and blue and unnerving. They still didn't know who had done this or what had happened exactly. Hitoshi had been dipping in and out of consciousness the few hours before the surgery on his arm, and during that time all they'd managed to get out of him were mumbles and mutterings of some woman and orange lightning. All they could do now was wait for him to wake up.

Eventually, Hanta, Neito, and Midoriya were allowed into the hospital room. They crowded at the end of the bed, worried about getting to close to their fallen brother.

"Is he going to be okay?" Midoriya asked quietly.

Shota nodded, glancing back at them. None of them looked convinced. "Broken arm and stabbed in the waist. Neither was too severe or will have any lasting damage. A couple months and he'll be completely healed." Hanta sighed heavily, collapsing onto the couch by the window. "But until then he won't be attending school, and neither will you guys."

"What? Why not?" Neito sounded like he'd been personally attacked.

"It's too dangerous." Hizashi explained, placing a hand on Neito's shoulder. "We've had enough scares in the past couple weeks. We can't take any more chances."

"What about classwork?" Midoriya asked, drumming his fingers along his thigh.

"It can be sent home, so you won't be falling behind."

"I think it's fair enough." Hanta said, sounding defeated. "They're right, we can't take any more risks. I mean, just look at him." He gestured to Hitoshi. The steady beep of the heart monitor replaced conversation as they all looked. It was a tragic sight.

"Do we know who did it yet?" Neito asked, going to sit beside Hanta.

"No. Only he can tell us that." Shota said, dragging a hand down his face. He was exhausted, as were the others. It was well past midnight and they'd been at school all day. Midoriya moved to join the others on the couch and they all leaned into each other, starting to fall asleep.

"Should I take them home?" Hizashi whispered to his husband.

Shota shook his head. "They'll want to be here when he wakes up. We owe them that after seeing him in the state he was." He thought back to the moment. Blood was pouring out of Hitoshi at an alarming rate, staining the carpet and his clothes crimson. Shota doesn't think he'll ever forget the fear he felt in that moment. It was harrowing. Scarring.

"You should sleep." Hizashi drew up a chair beside Shota's.

"As should you."

"I'm fine. I wasn't off gallivanting all over the city after a full days work." Hizashi nudged Shota's head down onto his shoulder.