Chapter 5 - A New Enemy

It was a slow day at Purple Revolution Agency. Shota had been given a routine patrol around the city, checking up on the locals and stopping any low-key crime. It had been months since the start of the new school year. It was nearing December and the temperature was beginning to drop, leaves were falling from the trees, and people's breath could, once again, be seen fogging up the air.

Christmas vacation was edging closer by the day, and everyone was starting to wind down for the break. Of course, this meant Shota was still heaping on the homework for his class, but they'd thank him one day. 

Currently, he was wandering through the busy main street of the city centre. The stores were buzzing with noisy shoppers as they went about their Christmas shopping. Shota remembered that he still had to get Hitoshi's, Neito's and Hanta's Christmas presents. It was only Neito who had specified anything he wanted - apparently a new pair of wireless headphones were enough. Obviously, living in a two-Pro-Hero-household meant that Christmas was an extravagant and expensive time of year. Hizashi always insisted on decorating the entire house, even dressing the cats in Christmas sweaters. Nieto usually had Christmas music playing in whatever room he was in, and Hanta would be holed up in the kitchen making an assortment of festive sweet treats. Hitoshi was designated movie-chooser since he - according to himself - was the most cultured when it came to cinematic masterpieces. Shota was willing to differ since some of his choices were questionable, but let him have this. All in all, Christmas was a popular time of year within his family. 

He was suddenly drawn out of his thoughts by a series of gasps flowing through the crowd. He looked up, eyes immediately settling on the largest screen fixed to the side of a skyscraper. 

"Good afternoon." A voice echoed through the streets. Every other screen in the city centre - and what could be assume the city - had been taken over, all playing the same distorted voice. The screens suddenly blinked to life, each displaying the same scene.

This wasn't good.

"You don't know me," They continued, "but I can guarantee I know you." They tipped their masked head back, as if looking down on the city. Their identity was hidden behind a cyber mask. Two blue crosses across the eyes glowed against the black frame fixed over their face, forming what looked like a gas mask. "I'm going to make this short and sweet." They leaned their head onto their hands. "The Hero society is a disgrace and neurotic, and I'm here to change that. I know what you're thinking. No, I'm not going to kill all the heroes, where's the fun in that?" They chuckled to themselves. "But I am going to destroy them. Have a good day folks!"

The screen went dark. Silence followed. 

*******

Shota slammed the front door closed. He'd received a phone call shortly after the incident telling him to go home immediately and to wait for further instruction. 

"Dad?" Hitoshi poked his head out from upstairs. "I saw the news, what's going on?" 

"I don't know. They sent me home." Shota said, storming into the living room and turning the TV on, flicking to the news channel. "Where are the others?" 

"Pa and Neito went food shopping and I'm pretty sure Hanta is hanging out with friends." Just then, the door opened and closed quietly. Shota turned when he heard soft footsteps padding down the hall. A pale Hanta stood in the doorway, hand gripping the doorframe. 

"Hanta?" Shota said, standing and going to him.

"There... there w- was an attack." He pointed weakly to the TV that now displayed the most recent news story. Hitoshi hit the sound button on the remote and the journalist's voice filled the room.