3

Three

"And how are my new favorite patients?" Luke asked as he saw us sitting on the bed, no mother in sight.

"Good," Alex smiled happily. I felt Luke's glance on me as I stared ahead, trying to focus on something to make my head feel better. None of it was working, everything just made me feel woozy.

"How about we start with you, Alex?" Luke questioned and Alex nodded. He did the normal vitals, checking his eyes, ear, throat, temperature, heart beat, and blood pressure, which Alex just chatted through the whole time. I spaced out for most of it, just let Alex talk and talk and Luke respond to anything he was saying. I loved my brother, but he would never stop talking unless someone told him to.

"Good job buddy," Luke smiled. "Now, you need to get a shot, but I'm going to call my friend Calum in to take your pain away," Luke said, and that turned into hell.

"No shot," Alex shook his head viciously.

"Hey, buddy," I grabbed my brother's hand, "it's just a little pinch, and it'll make you super strong, like Flynn Rider," I brought his favorite movie into it.

"You like Tangled?" Luke asked and Alex nodded. "I love Tangled, it's my favorite movie," I knew it wasn't.

"Mine too," Alex wiped his tears with his free hand.

"What's your favorite part?"

"When the horse is chasing him,"

"That part is funny," Luke chuckled. "I like the lantern part,"

"That's my favorite part," I spoke up.

"I like when they sing the song about having a dream," Alex added. We continued to talk about the movie, Alex not even noticing Luke preparing the shot, then another doctor entered.

"Hey guys," he smiled. "I'm Dr. Calum Hood,"

"This is Kenzie and Alex," Luke introduced us. "I need you to take Alex's pain away from this shot,"

"Oh, I'm so good at that," Calum sighed in relief. "Can I sit down next to you, Alex?" he asked and Alex nodded. "Alright, you're going to hold your sisters hand and I'm going to put a hand on top of your head," Calum said and Alex nodded, obeying what he said. Luke wiped the area and Calum closed his eyes, then began to make a buzzing sound, which made me and Alex burst out laughing, so much so that Alex didn't even notice the shot.

"And done," Luke said after he pulled the shot out, then placed a bandaid over it.

"Did it hurt?" Alex looked at Calum, who shook his head.

"Nope, not at all," Calum confirmed.

"It didn't hurt me either," Alex smiled happily.

"How about I take you to get a sticker and lollipop while your sister gets checked up?" Calum suggested and Alex looked at me .

"Go, I'll be alright here," I promised. Alex nodded and followed Calum out, leaving me there for my check up.

Calum

"How come you take people's pain?" Alex asked me.

"Because it brings them comfort and keeps them safe," I explained with a smile as I held Alex's hand, leading him down the hallway.

"I wanna keep people safe too, mostly my sissy,"

"I'm sure you always keep her safe," I smiled at the boy, but noticed his frown. "What's wrong, buddy?"

"I don't think I keep her safe, she keeps me safe," with that sentence, I knew something was up. I remembered Michael talking about the two and how sketchy the check up with Kenzie's shoulder was, and now this interaction with Alex made everything even more off and concerning.

"How does she keep you safe, Alex?" I asked, but Alex didn't respond. We made it to the desk in silence and I allowed Alex to pick out a lollipop and sticker as Michael walked up.

"There's the superstar," Michael cheered, but noticed the shift in his normal energy. "What's wrong?" he asked and I shrugged. Michael knelt down in front of Alex and lifted his chin up to reveal tears in his eyes.

"I have to protect Kenzie," he whispered.

"From what?"

"From Saturday, something bad is gonna happen," he quietly answered, "something bad always happens,"

"What happens, Alex?" I knelt down with Michael.

"I don't know, but she always screams for someone to stop and cries," he said and I looked over at Michael, both of us concerned about what Alex was saying.