8

Eight

"Sissy is going to sleep in a little later," I told Alex as Michael held him. "And when she gets up you can see her,"

"I want her now," Alex whined.

"Buddy, I know you do, but she's not feeling good," Michael explained. "So we'll make breakfast and bring some to her once she wakes up, how does that sound?" he suggested, but Alex shook his head and began to cry.

"No, only Kenzie's breakfast," he refused. We both sighed, not wanting to wake Kenzie up. She was exhausted from last night, and I really just wanted her to sleep for another couple of hours. I got out of bed as well and went down with Michael while he carried Alex who was crying.

"What's wrong?" Calum asked as we came down.

"He wants Kenzie, but she's still sleeping," I explained.

"How about we have breakfast?" Ashton suggested, but Alex shook his head.

'No, only Kenzie can," he sobbed.

"Does Kenzie usually make breakfast?" Calum asked and Alex nodded. Calum did a fake gasp with a smile. "Alex, what if we make her breakfast?' he asked excitedly. "She normally makes breakfast, so let's make her some, then when she wakes up she'll be super excited,"

"Will she smile?" Alex picked his head up and wiped his eyes, finally not crying anymore.

"I think she will," Ashton said.

"She doesn't smile much, I want her to smile,"

"Then we'll do that and have her smile," I spoke up and Alex nodded with a smile. Calum, Michael, and Alex went into the kitchen while Ashton stayed behind with me.

"Their parents were arrested last night along with their friends," he whispered.

"I thought the party was Saturday?"

"I did too," he mumbled, "thank God we got them out beforehand,"

"What will happen to them?" I looked over at Alex, who was now cheery as he helped Calum crack some eggs into a bowl.

"Two options," Ashton spoke. "They go to a foster home with a random family," he listed the first option, making my heart stop. I couldn't let them go into a random home after everything they've been through. We just got them to trust us enough to get help, starting in a new home wouldn't work out in Kenzie's favor. Maybe Alex's, but they could get separated. "Or we can take them in,"

"Second," I quickly answered. "If everyone's ok with that,"

"We all are. I talked to Calum and Michael earlier, we all want to help," he told me, "we'll talk to them and figure out what they want as well," I smiled lightly and sighed in relief. We went into the kitchen and began to watch the three make breakfast, Alex chatting away about school, but then decided to go up and check on Kenzie's. I went up to my room and saw her awake in my room, tracing the floral pattern on the blanket over her.

"Morning," I lightly smiled.

"Morning," she mumbled back, not looking up at me.

"Mind if I sit?" I asked and she shook her head. I sat down next to her as she kept tracing the pattern on the bed, very distant.

"You told the police, didn't you?" she whispered.

"We did, yes," I confirmed and she nodded lightly.

"When will my bruising get better?" she asked, changing the topic.

"It'll take a while, it's pretty deep bruising," we were quiet again until the door opened and Alex came charging in with the rest of the guys following.

"We made you breakfast," Alex cheered.

"You did?" Kenzie asked with a smile.

"Yes," he nodded and Ashton carried in a tray along with Michael and Calum. Alex sat next to Kenzie as they started to eat, Calum sat next to me with a tray, and Michael and Ashton sat on the floor with a tray. We all ate breakfast in my room with Alex doing most of the talking, completely oblivious of Kenzie's mood. All I wanted was to protect the two.