11

Eleven

I didn't speak to Luke at all after that exam. That exam was horrible and I never wanted to step foot in a hospital again. I also didn't want to talk to anyone, I just wanted to be alone. So when we got home, I didn't even stop for the late lunch on the table, just went up to the guest room and shut the door. I laid down on the bed as tears fell down my face. I was so defeated and tired, today was honestly the worst day ever.

They only let me be alone for five minutes until there was a knock on my door, annoying me. All I wanted was to be alone, and I couldn't even do that. I didn't respond, but the door opened. It was obviously not Alex because the person gently sat down next to me, "We were going to go get your stuff," I heard Michael say.

"I really just want to be alone right now," I muttered, still not looking up at him.

"Do you want me to tell the guys to just grab your stuff?" he asked and I nodded.

"There's not a lot,"

"Do you want to talk about what happened today?" he asked.

"I really don't want to hear the same sympathy over and over,"

"How about you talk and get everything off your chest?" he suggested.

"I feel so defeated," I mumbled as tears fell down my face, "everyday it just gets worse and worse, and I just have to face the consequences of someone else's actions," Like I wanted, he didn't say anything. He just pulled me into a tight hug as tears poured down my face. We stayed like that until I was mostly calm.

"Can I just say one thing?" he whispered and I nodded. "Things will get better, it'll take time but it'll get better,"

"It doesn't feel like that," I mumbled.

"I know it doesn't," he sighed, "you'll get there, but for now it's ok to be upset," I nodded in response and let him hug me tightly. I kept my head on his chest until he spoke up again."I'm going to go tell the guys to pick up your stuff, then I'll be back up," he said and I nodded. He left the room for a moment, then came back a couple of minutes later. We laid back down on the bed and I soon fell asleep from exhaustion.

Luke

"There are so many cars, wow," Calum gasped as Alex pulled out a bin of twenty hot wheels. Alex giggled as he grabbed his favorite one.

"This one is the best," he showed us and I smiled at him. "Kenzie got me all of these,"

"When did she buy them?"

"For my birthday and Christmas, mom gives her money sometimes," Alex explained, which made me feel sick. She was being bribed to stay, and she didn't even keep the money for herself, she spent it on Alex. "We go to Target and I get some cars and she gets a magazine," he pointed over to a bin filled with a ton of magazines. I knelt down at the bin and started to go through, seeing a ton of fashion magazines. "She likes to look at clothes, but she normally just wears sweatshirts, leggings, and sweatpants," I hummed in response, putting the magazines back and closing the box.

"How about after we get this stuff we go shopping and get some stuff for you?" Ashton asked and Alex perked up.

"Really?"

"Really," Ashton confirmed and Alex nodded happily. We had eventually gotten everything, which wasn't a lot, together. I felt horrible for the two. The room was tiny and shared between the two, and it was clear Kenzie never had her own space to process her emotions.

We loaded up the car with three boxes, then left hoping to never return. Ashton drove to Target and we went in with Alex holding mine and Calum's hand, jumping up and down with excitement. "We also need to get you some clothes," Calum added and Alex nodded. Going to a store was already stressful, and now taking a five year old was even more stressful. Yes, he was seated in the cart for most of the time, but he was a ball of energy and it was crowded. We let him pick out as many clothes as he liked, then had him try on a couple of sizes to make sure they fit. "Is that it?" Calum asked and Alex nodded.

"Toys now?"

"Yep," I smiled. We went off to the toy aisle and automatically he was interested in all of the car's things. Whatever he wanted, we put it into the cart for him to have. Personally, I thought the best part was the Barbie Dream House he also wanted with a couple of dolls.

"Dad never let me have it,"

"How come?" Ashton raised an eyebrow.

"Cause he said it was for girls," Alex shrugged. "Kenzie got me a barbie doll once and he broke it,"

"It's not just for girls, it's for anyone," I reassured him. "And when we get home we'll set it up and all play with it," I picked him up and he giggled. "How does that sound?"

"Good," he grinned happily. Finally, we went to the room area and started to pick out some comforters and other room decor stuff for his own room, which we haven't broken the news to him yet. Once we had everything, we waited in line as Calum began to place an online order for food at a restaurant, knowing none of us felt like cooking today. "Can we lay out the rug too?" Alex asked after we checked out and were heading back to the car with a ton of stuff in two carts.

"Yeah, do you want it in the living room?" I asked and he nodded with a smile.

"Thank you for getting this," Alex thanked us.

"Not a problem, we're glad you like everything," Calum ruffled his hair.

"Kenzie always told me to say please and thank you," Alex said.

"Well Kenzie is right, she is very smart,"

"She is," Alex nodded in agreement.