14

Fourteen

Kenzie

"It's looking good in here," I looked over and saw Luke coming in.

"Thanks," I lightly smiled as I put the sheets on my bed.

"Need any help?"

"No, I think I got it," I said, looking around to see everything was mostly done.

"How about some company?" he asked.

"Sure," I lightly smiled. He sat down at my desk (courtesy of Michael and Ashton building it) while I finished getting everything set up.

"How about we hang up the posters tomorrow?" he suggested and I nodded.

"How is Alex?"

"Fast asleep," Luke chuckled. I looked over at the clock and my eyes widened.

"It's already ten?"

"Yeah, you've been busy," he laughed. "Alex and Ashton went to bed an hour ago," he said and I nodded. I guess I had been so busy with everything that I didn't even think about the time. "I need to tell you something, and I don't think you're going to be happy,"

"What is it?" I asked and sat down on my bed after getting the sheets on.

"Next week is the court date with your parents," he explained and I held my breath. "Your dad isn't giving out any names, and you only know the one guy. They're trying to find him, but he's on the run right now. I was going to go with you to court, and the other guys can go as well, if you'd like," he said and I nodded. "How are you feeling?"

"Nervous," I admitted.

"It's ok to be nervous," he moved over and sat down next to me. "You'll probably have to testify, but it'll be ok. You'll explain what happened and that will be it, I know you want to just get it over with,"

"I wanted this over a while ago,"

"I know, and I wish I could've made it all go away,"

"You said you wanted to take me and Alex and run away, why can't we do that?" I questioned as he gave me a side hug.

"Because then your parents would be released and I would be kidnapping you two," he reminded me and I sighed. "What is going through your mind?"

"I don't want to see them again,"

"Nothing will happen to you, you don't have to talk to them. All you have to do is testify and sit back down. We'll all be there to protect you and there will be police," he promised and I nodded.

"When is it happening?"

"Friday," he answered and I sighed.

"Ok,"

"Is there anything I can do?"

"No, not really," I shook my head. He nodded and kissed the top of my head as we sat in silence. "You said that Alex and I were going to be adopted, right?" I questioned and he nodded. "Who is going to adopt us?"

"I have to talk to the guys about that," Luke said and I nodded. "Why do you ask?"

"I dunno, just wondering," I shrugged as I picked my nails. I didn't want to say anything, but I was hoping Luke would be the one to sign the adoption papers. I didn't want to say that though, maybe he didn't want to do that. It was his choice, and I didn't want to impact that.

"You're tired, why don't you get some sleep?" he suggested and I nodded. He helped me get the comforter on the bed, then tucked me in and kissed my forehead.

"Need anything else?"

"No, I'm ok," I lightly smiled and he smiled back.

"I love you, kenzie bug," he said, making me giggle a little.

"Love you too, Luke," I said. He left the room and I started to drift off to sleep. That was until my door opened and then shut. I looked up and saw Alex coming over with tears down his face. "What's wrong buddy?"

"I want you," his voice cracked which broke my heart. He climbed onto my bed and hugged me tightly. I didn't care about any of my bruises or anything else at that moment. I let him lay on top of me as I rubbed his back to comfort him. Eventually his sobs quieted down and he was asleep again. I laid him down next to me and fell back asleep as well.