10

TW: mention of rape

Ten

That one cup of coffee was not enough. I had a terrible headache as we drove to the hospital, "My head hurts,"

"Concussion?"

"No, I need caffeine,"

"I don't want you getting addicted-" Luke started.

"I'm already addicted," I cut him off. "Please Luke, it hurts a lot. I'm tired," I begged. He sighed, but finally agreed to go to a coffee shop. I took my normal order, an iced almond milk latte, and Luke got some tea. We got our drinks, then continued to drive to the hospital in silence as we drank our drinks.

"Was everything ok back there?" Luke asked and I nodded.

"I wish you were back there," I mumbled.

"I wish I was too," he agreed.

"I hate police officers," I said.

"I do too,"

"What happens if my parents aren't charged?"

"Nothing bad will happen to you or Alex, I rechallenge and keep rechallenging until you are safe,"

"Why do you care so much about me and Alex?" I questioned, which caught him off guard. "All of you do, and you see a lot of people at the hospital,"

He was quiet for a moment, "I really don't know," he admitted. "Just when I first met you I knew that you needed help, more than medical attention. And when Alex said something bad was happening Saturday, I wanted nothing more than to run away with you and Alex and give you the life you deserve," he explained the best he could. I nodded quietly and looked out the window.

"His friends were going to rape me Saturday," I mumbled, catching him off guard. "They always do, and I always say stop, but they never do," Tears started to fill my vision. "It happens all the time, and my mom just says it's my purpose in life, to please them and be abused by my father. And when Michael said we could stay with you, I just wanted a break. I just wanted to not be hurt for once, but now my mind and heart hurt so much after seeing that I shouldn't have been through that," I started to cry. I felt Luke pull the car over and unbuckle after parking. He pulled me into a tight hug as I cried into his shoulder, finally at a breaking point.

"I promise nothing bad will ever happen to you again," he mumbled as he held me tightly. For the first time, I believed him. I felt safe knowing that he would do anything to keep me and Alex safe. Once I was calm, he continued to drive the car to the hospital as I wiped my eyes, trying to make it look like I wasn't crying. We went in and went back where Calum was.

"Hey pretty girl," he smiled.

"Hi," I quietly greeted him.

"Go ahead and have a seat on the bed," he said and I nodded, sitting down on the bed. "We're going to do an ultrasound on your tummy and check out your knee,"

"I'm not Alex, you can call it a stomach," I said and he chuckled.

'It's not as fun," he told me as he went over and started to check my shoulder. "Tummy rhymes with more, like lummy, mummy," he listed. "Name one thing that rhymes with stomach," I thought for a moment, but he stopped my thinking, "see, it's harder,"

"You're right," I admitted my defeat.

"I gotta go talk to someone real quick," Luke said and Calum nodded.

"I got her, don't worry," he reassured him and Luke nodded. He left and Calum had me lay down on the bed. "I'm going to put some weird gel on your tummy," he glanced at me, making me crack a small smile, "then I just move this wand around and check. There will be some pressure, but I want to make sure everything is healing well,"

"Ok," I nodded. He did as he said and though it hurt, I just sucked it up. After five minutes, it was over.

"Alright, it's healing as well as it can. We need to be more careful with it though, so it can heal quicker," he said and I nodded. "I'll give you some anti-inflammatory pills to take to help,"

"When will it heal?"

"All depends on how we treat it," he smiled and I nodded. Luke came back in with a woman doctor, making Calum's face drop.

"Hi Mackenzie, I'm Doctor Henderson," she greeted.

"Hi," I said, looking at Luke worried.

"I'll give you a minute," Calum stood up and walked out without another word.

"Luke told me some bad things were happening at home, right?" she asked and I nodded silently. "I know this is hard, but we're going to have to go through a kit to make sure everything is ok," she told me, which made me look at Luke immediately.

"No,"

"Kenz-" he started, but I shook my head.

"Please Luke, I don't want to," I begged as tears started to form in my eyes. "Please, don't make me,"

"It's to make sure your body is ok, we have to make sure everything is fine," he explained.

"I don't wanna,"

"I know, but Dr. Henderson will be safe and careful, once it's done it's done," he promised.

"Would you like Luke to stay or leave?" she asked, but I didn't respond to the question.

"I don't want to do this," I begged.

"I know it's hard, already going through everything and now dealing with this, but this is to make sure that nothing in your body is torn," she explained. I get it, I get why it's done. It doesn't make it any easier though.

"I want Luke to stay," I mumbled and she nodded. Today has been complete shit.