Chapter 25

"Malik, what are you getting Ma for Christmas?" The detective sighs, phone pressed to her ear as she strolls through the mall

"You didn't get her nothing yet?" Chantelle's younger brother laughs. "You know Christmas is this week, right?"

"Christmas is next week." She corrects him.

"Sunday is the start of the week."

"Don't get smart with me, little boy."

Chantelle is already stressed about work and her love life situation, she doesn't need her brother's attitude on top of that.

"Look, I just bought her a nice jacket and called it a day."

"What color?" The detective raises an eyebrow.

"Red."

"Oh, her favorite. That's smart." She grins. "What if I got her a matching bag?"

"Ooh, Louis Vuitton? Gucci?"

Chantelle sucks her teeth. "Boy, you know I don't have that kind of money."

"Coach is good too."

"I'm hanging up on you now, bye!"

Chantelle spends the majority of her morning searching for Christmas presents. It's something she tends to put off until last minute but as always, she still gets it done in time.

After that, she does a bit of grocery shopping. By the time she gets back to her apartment, she feels like her arms are going to fall off.

"Hey, Bun." She yawns, lifting Cinnabun out of his cage after putting everything away and wrapping all the presents. Her day feels like it is never-ending, but there's always more to do.

Fortunately for her, she has already finalized plans with Jin for tonight. They'll be meeting at a restaurant for dinner, nothing more, nothing less. After the rocky couple of days they have had, a simple date would probably be best.

They can rekindle their spark and hopefully avoid any arguments.

"You know what, Bun, you're the only man in my life that doesn't cause me any trouble. And I love you for that." She kisses the top of his head.

Then she lets him run free as she cleans his cage.

By the time Chantelle has completed all her chores, it is time for her to get ready for her date with Jin. Having already mentally decided on an outfit, she hops into the shower.

But a sudden phone call cuts her relaxation time short. She groans, leaning her upper body out the shower to grab the buzzing device. It's Taehyung.

What could he possibly want?

"Yes?" She hums, accepting the call and putting it on speaker.

"Hey, are you busy?"

"Uh, kind of." She mumbles. "Why?"