chapter 5

Mia Pov

I had just got home with my groceries and was unpacking them when I heard my phone ringing. It's Claire. 

"Hi, Claire, what's up?"

"You're 10 minutes late. Our boss is freaking out that you are not here."

I looked down at my watch to see it was 4:30 in the afternoon. 

"Sh*t! I didn't even realise the time. Can you cover for me? Please, I'll be there in 5 minutes."

While I was still on the phone, I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge. Then I grabbed my bag and walked out of my house, making my way to my car. I turned on my Bluetooth straight away then placed it on my phone holder so I could still talk to Claire.

"Girl you know I've got you."

In the background, I heard our boss Jeff yelling. 

"Claire! Where is mia? She is 10 minutes late!"

"Oh uuh, she forgot to tell you she had a last-minute doctor's appointment," Claire explained.

"She better be here in the next 6 minutes or she is fired"

"Yes, sir, she will be here."

I heard the excuse Claire gave our boss. Claire didn't know that was the truth. I did have a doctor's appointment and then I ran to the shops.

'Mia, you better get here quick. I don't know if I'll be able to cover much longer."

"I'm already in the car on my way. I'll be there soon, I promise."

"Okay see you soon"

I ended the call and quickly but safely made my way to work. I guess it's a good thing I only live 5 minutes away from where I work. As I drove to work it was great there was no traffic at all which was good. Finally, I pulled into the parking lot finding a free spot then I parked the car.

I got out of my car, locking it behind me. I quickly pulled my hair back into a high ponytail then walked in the back. 

I noticed Claire helping Zain who is new. Claire would never say it but I think she has a small crush on the guy. He's only been working here for a week.

"Hey Claire, I'm here. I'm so sorry I'm late"

"It's no problem for me but you should be saying sorry to Jeff"

"I know but first I'm going to put my stuff in the locker room"

I stepped into the staff locker room, walked over to my locker and opened it. As I  placed my bag in my locker, my phone dinged. I pulled my phone out of my bag and read the text. 

Gazing down at my phone my hair stood on end as my skin began to crawl with goosebumps as I saw the text that just emerged. 

Shivers tormented my whole body as I read, 'You are a witch. Your kind is evil. I WILL FIND YOU!' 

Just knowing that someone knows what I am, scares me down to my very core.

It was an unknown number so I didn't know who this text was from. But deep down I had this churning feeling in my stomach. I put my phone in my bag then closed my locker.

I took a deep breath, brushed myself off, putting on a smile as if nothing had just happened. Strolling out of the locker room, I went to find our boss. I can't lose this job. I need the money. 

Walking down the hall I find Jeff in his office, typing away on his computer. He didn't notice I was standing in the doorway, taking a breath I knocked.