Chapter 4

Maya's POV

When she said that she was bisexual my heart sped up. If she is bisexual then that just means that I wasn't good enough for her. At least if she only liked boys I could use the excuse that she can't help it but now all the hurt is just coming back. I thought this was over, I thought that my feelings were gone. I guess I was wrong.

"Thank you Maya. But is that really all you have to say?"

"What do you want me to say Riley?"

She didn't answer my question, instead she leaned in and kissed me. This time there was more passion, more feelings to the kiss. I pulled away but as I did I felt a pang of disappointment and I had the urge to close the gap again but I didn't.

"W-What was that Riley..?"

"Maya... I-I love you too.."

"Riley, I have a girlfriend."

"Maya, you can't tell me you didn't feel something. You can't tell me you don't want this."

"Riley.. I just can't, I love her, I love Lani. She was there for me after you broke my heart. I'm happy that you figured things out but I just can't. Goodbye Riley."

I leaned in and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and then I left the same way I came in.

After I left Riley's apartment I went straight to Lani's house. I had to be honest with her, I had to tell her what happened and that it meant nothing, at least I think it didn't. About 10 minutes later I got to her house and went up to her room.

"Maya! What are you doing here?"

Before I could answer she ran up to me and gave me a long and passionate kiss.

"Well I definitely like kissing you, but I actually needed to talk to you."

"Alright what's up"

"Riley kissed me... I pulled away and told her I love you but I needed to be honest with you so I came right here to tell you, I love you."

"I'm glad that you're being honest with me but I need you to answer 1 question."

"Of course, anything."

"Did it mean anything"

"...N-No." I don't know why I stutterd. It didn't.. Did it?

"Then why did you have to think about it and why did you stutter?"

"I don't know."

"Well, I do. You still have feelings for her, Maya."

"What, no I don't."

"You do and I can't be with you if you can never fully be with me. I'm sorry Maya, I love you."

"Please don't do this Lani!!"

She leaned in and gave me a long slow kiss.

"I love you Maya, I really do, so I'm sorry I have to do this. Goodbye Maya."

"Goodbye Lani. I love you" I said through my tears.

After I left I went straight home. Without her I have nothing and no one. I walk to my cupboard and grab a bottle of pills. I sit down and write a letter. It was short and to the point.

"To whoever is reading this note. I'm sorry that I had to do this but I have nothing keeping me here anymore. I hope I don't hurt anyone too much but if I do just know that it is better this way.

Goodbye.

- - - - Maya - - - -

I put the note on my dresser and layed down in bed. I opened the bottle and swallowed all of them. After that everything went black and I fell asleep peacefully.

- - - - 1 hour later - - - -

Riley's POV

Since Maya left I haven't been able to stop crying. I was too late and I hurt my best friend again. My thoughts were interrupted when my dad walked in.

"Hey Riley?"

"What's up Dad?"

"I just got a call from the school and they told me that something happened to Maya."

"D-Dad, what do you mean? What happened to Maya? Is she okay?"

"I don't know yet. I guess she swallowed a whole bottle of pills and her mom came home from work to find her not breathing. She rushed her to the hospital and they have her stabilized for now but she isn't waking up..."

I broke down in tears right there and my dad just laid there with me holding me tight for what felt like hours until I finally drifted off to sleep.