Chapter 16

Maya's POV....

        When the bell finally rang for the last class of the day my stomach started to twist into knots. I knew that Riley was in this class, and I didn't know how to face her without showing how worried I am about the bay window talk. I may have been to her house but that wasn't the same. This time, she wants to have a serious talk or something and it has been over 2 years since we have had an important conversation in our bay window. I didn't even realize how much I missed Riley while I was gone, until I got back. Since I've been back, I've been hearing a lot of things about Riley, I have heard that she changed, that she isn't the same naive, and hopeful person she used to be, and that breaks my heart.

        When I walked into my last class of the day, I can see Farkle and Lucas talking in their usual seats, I had to the back and take my seat. Once the bell rings, I realize that Riley isn't here. It is obvious no one knew she wouldn't be her cause Farkle and Lucas were almost glaring at me. The teacher was giving us a free day today, so I put my headphones in and leaned back in my chair. All of a sudden, someone had pulled out my headphones and were looking at me expectantly. They're stood Lucas, looking pissed, with Farkle right by his side looking equally angry.

"What did you do to Riley?!" Lucas said through grinding teeth.

"What the hell are you talking about, Lucas?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"She only ever skips when she is sad or upset about you." Farkle chimed in.

"Well, I didn't do anything, she asked me to meet her at the bay window after sch-"

"Ms. Hart?" Someone said from the doorway.

        Once I looked over at the person who cut me off, I realized it was the guidance counselor. Why the hell would she be talking to me. I have never once met her or talked to her, only seen her in the halls.

"Yeah, what's going on?" I asked in a confused tone.

"Can we talk out in the hall for just a moment please?" She asked politely.

"Ok.... I'll be right back." I said to Lucas and Farkle and turned to leave.

Farkle's POV....

        I knew that something must have happened for her to be pulled out in the middle of class like that, so I went over to the door to look out the small window to see what's going on.

"What's happening?" Lucas asked.

"Nothi-" I cut myself off the second I saw it.

        She seemed to be having a normal conversation with the guidance counselor until I saw the counselor, who's name I can't remember, reached out to place a hand on Maya's shoulder, and Maya smacked her hand away and tried to grab onto something as she fell to the ground while sobbing and shaking uncontrollably. I don't think I have ever seen her this bad, something really bad must have happened.