Chapter 18

Maya's POV....

        As everyone was staring at me, I started to piece it all together. Farkle must have been watching what was happening through the window the whole time and told Riley that something had happened. 

"Maya, I know something happened, what is it?" Riley asked slowly.

        I stayed silent as I was trying not to think about it, but I was completely failing

Flashback to earlier that day....

        I walked into the hall with Ms. Simons and tried to figure out what she could possibly need to talk to me about.

"Ms. Hart, you might want to take a seat for this." She said sadly.

"I'm fine, just tell me what you need."

"We just got a call from the hospital; it seems as though your mom was in a serious accident. A drunk driver ran a red light and hit her side of the car; she is in critical condition right now."

"NO, YOUR LYING, WHY ARE YOU LYING?"

"Ms. Hart, I know that this is hard, but I need you to calm down, okay?"

        She tried to reach her hand out to put it on my shoulder, but I just swatted it away, I couldn't breathe, and the tears wouldn't stop, I was shaking so badly that I couldn't stand anymore. I reached out to grab something, anything, but there was nothing. I was on the floor completely broken. As soon as the shaking started to subside, I got up and ran out of that damn school, I ran as fast and as far as I could."

Flashback End....

"Nothing is wrong, just drop it."

"Maya, I saw what happened, I have never seen you so scared before, obviously something happened." Farkle said sympathetically.

        I tried not to cry just thinking about it, but I couldn't stop it, I dropped to my knees just as the tears started falling. As soon as I hit the ground Riley was down on the floor as well, holding me tight.

"It's my mom, there was an accident, she got hit by a drunk driver, and they aren't sure if she is going to make it. She is in surgery, but there are just too many injuries."

"Oh, Maya, I am right here, just breathe, ok, just breathe."