Chapter 6

Riley's POV

When I saw Lani my heart just about broke. I know that it's my fault for taking so long to find out that I love her, but it still hurts. Every time I see them kiss or hold hands my heart breaks a little more. I wanted to tell Lani that I was not happy to see her, but I know Maya loves her and I don't want to hurt Maya, so I decided that I have to act civil.

"It's good to see you too." I said with a fake smile plastered on my face.

I waited for her to say something else but just as she was about to speak again the doctor came out.

"Maya?" the doctor questioned.

"Right here" me and Lani said at the same time, almost racing to the doctor.

"Which one of you is her partner?" She said, looking between me and Lani.

"I am." Lani shouted out.

She looked at me and began to speak.

"Could you step away for a moment?"

"I'm her best friend" I said pleading.

"Pfft, no you're not. You and Maya didn't speak for 2 years after what you did. She still doesn't want to be your friend, nothing has changed."

Ouch. The doctor looked at me expectantly, so I hesitantly walked back over to Katy and my mom.

I guess I deserved that. After the way I treated her, I guess I shouldn't be surprised she doesn't want to be my friend. I just thought that maybe she forgave me, but I guess she didn't. All I want to do right now is cry and scream and let it all out because it's killing me inside. I know I should give up, but I won't because I guess I'm still holding on to something that I know will never happen, because deep down inside me, I have this little piece of hope that someday, maybe it will.

"Riley, why are you crying? I saw you fighting with Lani and then you came over here and started crying. What happened?"

I didn't even realize that I was crying until now. I couldn't hold it in anymore. I had to tell her. She was the one person I trusted in this world more than I trusted Maya.

"I love her mom. I love her so much. What should I do?"

She wrapped me in a tight hug, and we just sat in silence for a few second before she pulled back.

"Oh, honey, I know you love her. And I know it hurts. Did Lani say something to you?"

"She said that Maya doesn't want me in her life. She basically told me Maya hates me. I wish I didn't love her mom, I wish I could stop feeling this way. I wish I didn't hurt her."

"Oh, Riley. I know it hurts, everyone makes mistakes though, but it will never be a mistake to love someone, no matter how much it hurts now."

"Thank you, mom, can we go home now?"

"Of course, let me just go say bye to Katy."

I watched as my mom went to say goodbye to Katy. While she was talking to Katy, Lani came over.

"Finally going to give up, huh." She said angrily.

Before I could even say anything, my mom came over.

"Hello Lani, I'm going to make this really clear, ok? Stay away from my daughter. I already informed Katy of your behavior. If you really loved Maya, you would be focusing on her instead of hurting my daughter."

"You're right, my behavior was unacceptable. I am very sorry Riley." She said in the most convincing tone possible, trying to sound innocent as she could.

"Thank you for apologizing to my daughter but don't think for a second either of us believed you were being genuine, goodbye."

We walked out of the hospital leaving Lani speechless. We drove home in silence, but I still couldn't stop crying. When we pulled in, I got out of my room and ran to my room and collapsed on my bed completely letting my tears out. I didn't even realize someone was in the bay window waiting for me until they said something.

"You love her, don't you?"