Episode 11

3rd POV

Rei had skipped swim practice to confront Rin. Everything that was happening with Haru always involved him and (Y/N) has been so focused on him to where she isn't focusing on herself or her health.

"So, what do you want?", Rin asks.

"I have some questions for you", Rei answers.

"Huh? What are they?"

"Then here's my first question", Rei says while pushing up his glasses, "Why did you suddenly decide to swim in the relay?"

"I changed my mind. You came out here to ask me that?", Rin answers.

But Rei knew that he was lying. There was something more than just changing his mind.

"That answer does not convince me", Rei says, "You've been fixated on racing Haruka all this time. Your reason was that you couldn't move forward until you defeated him. And in the last tournament, you beat him. Doesn't that mean you've achieved your goal?"

With every question or comment about Haru, Rin had started to get angrier.

"My goal isn't to beat Haru", Rin says, "And it's not to win tournaments in this country. I aim higher. My goal is the world."

"The world?", Rei asks, "Very well. Moving on to my second question. How do you feel about Haruka?"

Rin looks at Rei in shock about that question. He was wondering what he felt about Haru had to do with the conversation.

"In grade school, you and Haruka were close rivals", Rei continues, "I saw an old picture of you guys when we were at Coach Sasabe's house. You used to smile all the time. With Haruka, Makoto, Nagisa, and even (Y/N)... The five of you were always together and having fun. So what made you change after going to study abroad? Why didn't you contact Haruka or any of the others after you returned to Japan? You've only contacted (Y/N), but stopped after some time. What happened while you were abroad? You used to be good friends, so why? You all swam  together, so why? You must have been thrilled about swimming in a relay with them!"

Rin's fists tighten the more Rei tries to bring what happened in the past.

"Aren't you the one who understands more than anyone how great the relay was?", Rei continues.

"SHUT UP!", Rin yells.

Rei jumps back a bit at his sudden outburst.

"I let you talk, and you think you can spout all the stupid logic you want?! Why do I have to explain myself to you?!", Rin asks with anger.

"Because I'm a victim", Rei answers, pushing his glasses up, "I was originally on the track team, but I ended up joining the swim club. After watching Haruka swim, I wanted to swim like him. Practice was hard at first, but it started to grow on me. Eventually, I was having fun swimming with everyone. At prefecturals, I finally swam in a relay with them. That was the first time I really understood relays as more than a theory. I realized how fun they could be! I can still remember how it felt. We were finally united as one! We felt like a real team! But they all keep talking about you! Rin! Rin! Rin!"