36

TW// this chapter contains hints of sexual assault.

The first person Thomas and Hazel noticed as they walked into the betting shop was Polly sat at the dimly lit table, her cigarette dangling loosely from her lips.

She shot up the second she saw the pair, ignoring Thomas as he walked through to where John and Esme were. She paused for a moment to examine Hazels face, her eyes too worn from tears, and Polly sensed it wasn't just the imprisonment of people she cared about that did it.

"What happened?" Polly spoke quietly.

"I-" Hazel began, gulping nervously and trying to find the words, but both their attention moved when John started speaking.

"Tommy- the coppers have lifted ten of our men in Camden Town. The rest are on the run." John began.

Hazel and Polly both shared a look before walking into the room next door.

"They've taken Michael!" Hazel spoke in disbelief that they were discussing business first.

"Business first." Thomas dismissed her, causing Polly and Hazels frustrations to grow.

"Thomas they took Michael! They picked him up an-" Polly spoke quickly, being cut off by Thomas as he raised his voice, repeating "business first" another time.

If looks could kill he would be dead due to Hazel and Polly.

"T-they took all our whiskey" John continued- "So no doubt they'll be supping that for Christmas. They've impounded all our vans. Put their own locks on the warehouses. The Eden club and all our pubs have been raided by the coppers and handed back to Sabini and Solomons, who are now apparently fucking partners. The Black Country boys think it was Arthur that killed Billy Kitchen coz that's what the coppers told them- so there'll be no more free passes for our whiskey boats." John explained, his eyes fixed on the table the whole time, trying to avoid Hazel and Pollys looks.

"I don't give a fuck about whiskey. I dont give a fuck about Billy Kitchen. I want my son out of prison. Now!" Polly exclaimed, the ignorance from her nephews being too much for her to cope.

"I spoke to Johnny dogs. I can help." Esme butted in, causing Polly to grow angrier.

"This meeting should just be family!" Polly hissed.

"She's right. Esme let's go." Hazel mumbled.

"No. Hazel you stay." Polly spoke quickly, causing Esme to stare at Hazel in disbelief.

"Have you forgotten about family Thomas?" Polly scoffed.

"He's treating it like another fucking business meeting." Hazel spoke in distaste, but the pairs rambling over his speech had pushed him, and he raised his hand up in frustration.

"Enough!" He shouted, the boom of noise making everyone go silent, including Polly who stood there in disbelief. "Enough. The both of you." He spoke again, this time his tone slightly quieter.

"Esme? Please continue." He cleared his throat

"I spoke to Johnny dogs. The lees are kin." Esme spoke.

"The bloody Lees!" Polly exclaimed.

"They can give us men!" Esme shouted back.

"We don't need more fucking men!" Hazel yelled back, surprising everyone in the room "- it's men that have done the damage!" She added, her voice cracking slightly as she could feel the threat of tears about to spill.

She glanced up at Thomas, and judging by the look on his face he knew that was aimed at him. She quickly scanned over the room, the shock on everyone's faces prominent, before turning on her heel and walking out, slamming the door behind her.