21

"Hello Thomas" Hazel whispered, her mind not being able to comprehend that he was actually in front of her.

Upon hearing his name come from her lips for the first time in 2 years, Thomas forgot how angelic her voice was. Not only that, but he was stunned by her beauty- he saw Hazel in his dreams each night, but that was from what he remembered of her from 2 years ago. The girl who stood before him wasn't just a girl anymore- she was a woman. Her lips seemed fuller and her skin clearer- her curves more accentuated and her hair was longer. Thank god she didn't cut it, he thought.

"Come on brothers, lets go get Polly and Ada." Arthur coughed awkwardly as they shuffled out of the room.

"I'm sorry for your loss" she spoke again, her voice soft and soothing- oh how he had missed her.

"My loss?" Thomas finally spoke, lighting a cigarette. Pondering whether she was insinuating his loss of her, or his loss of a friend.

"Freddie wasn't just Adas husband- he was your friend." Hazel looked at him with sympathy, which annoyed him.

"People die. I don't want your sympathy" he stated, pulling off his cap and running his hands through his hair.

Hazels eyes flickered in hurt and surprise- but in a way she wished she had his mind set, then maybe the loss of her sister wouldn't hurt her so much.

"London ey? Is it as grand as people say it is?" Thomas raised his eyebrows, inching slightly closer to hazel and passing her the cigarette, very cautious as to making sure their fingers didn't touch. He watched carefully as she took it like second nature to her and frowned, wondering if she had taken on smoking more than she used to.

"It's grand for the people with wealth and privilege, people who can afford expensive clubs and have a high enough social status to be invited to them. For the rest of us it's just work and an occasional cocktail at the local bar." She spoke swiftly, tapping the cigarette ash lightly onto the ash tray next to her.

"Sounds alright to me." He shrugged.

"It gets boring after a while- I much prefer the Garrison" Hazel smiled fondly, her eyes flickering up to his as she could feel his gaze burning into her, his expression was as if he was trying to determine whether she was really in the room with him.

"A nurse ey?" He cleared his throat slightly.

"So you read my letters." She frowned, trying not to let herself get angry at him yet. That would have to wait until after Freddie's funeral.

"Or Polly could of told me" he shrugged, pouring another glass of whiskey and downing it quickly.

"You read my letters." She stated, rolling her eyes and walking closer to him. She stared at him dead in the eyes for a moment, before reaching around him for her own glass of whiskey, downing it in the same way.

"Yes I read them. Then I burnt them. They just became ash in the fireplace."

"Fuck you." She shook her head in spite.

"Fuck me? You're the one that left." He growled back, his grip tightening slightly around his now empty glass.

"This can wait." She waved her hands in the air as to stop him from speaking another word "- your sister is getting ready for her husbands funeral. I think I'll go help" she grumbled, storming past him and heading up the familiar stair case.

Thomas shook his head and clenched his jaw, so tightly in fact he thought he could crack a tooth. He had to do all he could to refrain from lashing out at her. He had to keep reminding himself she was hurting- she'd lost her sister. He wanted to act like he couldn't care less whether she stayed or whether she left. But he was already trying to tip toe around his usual angry self, terrified of doing anything to push her away.