5

I beamed down at Katie as she slept soundly on the sofa, her head on my lap as the fire crackled in the background.

"Im worried, pol. For Ada, for Tom" I spoke out, looking over at her on the other sofa, Finn who was also asleep in the same way Katie was. Ada had rushed into the pub earlier today, crying about not being able to find Freddie or Thomas. I had to shove down the sick feeling in my stomach and help her. I got her water and sat her down. She cried and cried to me; in a way I was angry at the boys. She was pregnant and didn't need the stress. Once she'd calmed down that was when I made my way back home to explain it all to Polly.

"Don't be. Freddie and Tom will throw threat after threat, but they won't harm each other. They both love Ada too much."

"Really? If they had their wits about them, they'd see she's with child and doesn't need the stress" I scoffed

"They're men. They never have their wits about them"

As if we had spoken of the devil, Thomas burst in through the doors, me and Polly both shushing him as he made his way in.

"Where the fuck have you been Tom. Ada is worried out of her mind. It made her sick" I whisper shouted

"Yeah well, that's what she gets for marrying Freddie Thorne." He spoke back, before taking a seat and a drink and pulling a big wad of cash out of his pocket.

"He didn't want your money. Now the coppers are saying they'll put our Ada on the arrest warrant as well, that's where your compassion gets you pol. From now on, we do it my way" he spoke, angered.

"Or what" I challenged him, sick to death of this unnecessary stress to their whole family.

His eyes bored into mine, before storming out the room and slamming the door, making me growl in frustration as it jolted both Katie and Finn awake. Now we'd have to play for another 3 hours.

..

It was the morning of the races. Id barely spoke to tommy since the incident with Ada, but I was excited nonetheless. I began to get dressed, slipping on my red dress with black beads, adding the matching jewellery and accessories. I decided it was a day for makeup, and I let Katie play with my hair while I applied it.

"Don't knot me hair love" I smiled, nerves kicking in. I wanted to look my best. I wasn't sure why as tommy had only ever seen me in my day clothes with no makeup and my hair would usually be tied up or down in some sort of mess, perhaps I wanted to prove to him that I could scrub up well.

I kept my hair down but made sure my curls were well combed through and neat, I smiled at how silky it looked in the sunlight. One good gene I got was my hair, at least. I made sure to slip a knife into my garter while Katie wasn't looking, it was something id made a habit of doing since the war.

Polly had arrived to pick up Katie for the day, and she gasped as she saw me.

"For fucks sake, Thomas definitely won't be able to leave you alone now he's seen you like this" she groaned but pulled me into a hug. "You look gorgeous. A gypsy princess" she smiled as I rolled my eyes at the last bit.

"I best be off pol, goodbye" I smiled, placing a kiss on her cheek before making my way to the garrison, nerves bundled up in my stomach.

Tommy pulled up in a posh car, looking dashing as ever, I couldn't help my smile as I rushed over and jumped in excitedly. "Hello Tom, how are the others getting to the races? Is it just the two of us in here"

I knew something was going down with the lee family, and the blinders would be at the races too.

"Something like that" he breathed out. His eyes scanning my body was a look I was used to now, but this time it felt different.