Vengeance in your veins

TW: Blood. Please, read cautiously.

Sheela's PoV

Silence settled over the group like a thick blanket. Sheela's worried gaze darted from one person to another, as she felt the thrum of her pounding, panicked pulse underneath her skin.

Her brittle voice sounded like a stranger's to her own ears. "We have to get started."

She didn't know why, but the fact that Rudy said, 'she's dying' slowed her pulse.

Maybe it was the fact that 'dying' meant that her older sister was fighting back, not giving up hope. And right now, hope was possibly all that they had.

A sick feeling rose through her throat like bile. A bitter taste filled her mouth, and her knees gave away. Distantly, she heard Aru cry, "Sheela!"

She opened her mouth wide, and a deep, layered voice resonated throughout the room, its source being.... her.

"Daughter of Death lies shackled in a prison,
Her will to live is ebbed by the minute, with three hours left until her demise.
A life is bought with the life of another,
Lest her body and mind wither,
An inevitable sacrifice is made,
Sealed with the blood of a traitor."

She felt Nikita's warm hand on her shoulder, and instantly cleared her stomach of her breakfast on Brynne's long suffering shoes.

"Sorry, Bee," she mumbled, grabbing onto her twin's steady hand for support.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but.... was the prophecy asking us to sacrifice a traitor?" Brynne asked faintly, too preoccupied to notice her shoes.

"You're not wrong..... but... let's cross that bridge once we come to it." Aiden advised, looking pale, while pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Let's go to the Otherworld. And... locate Mini from my studio. It's the only place we can hone all our power," Nikita said in a fragile voice. Clearly, the talk of sacrifice had unsettled her.

Brynne raised her chin, and nodded. "C'mon. My uncles will probably let me use their daily vimana service."

Brynne's uncle soberly gave them the pass for the vimana, and mercifully did not question the ashen faces of his niece and her friends.

The vimana ride was shrouded in silence and the depressing environment of a group mourning.

Reflexively, Sheela's fingers curled around a charm bracelet with a star pendant, and the words, 'We protect you' engraved on the inside.

An ache bloomed through her chest, like a bruise. Mini and the other girls had chipped in to give her and Nikita charm bracelets for their twelfth birthday, since it was the day they could officially start training.

We'll save her, she thought fiercely, rubbing the bracelet for luck.

"Hey," Nikita said, nudging her. "Are you okay?" She asked quietly.

Rubbing the bracelet more vigorously, she muttered, "Dunno."

"She's strong. She managed to break Rudy out through sheer willpower." Nikita said, though now it felt like she was talking to herself, rather than to Sheela.

With a loud rumble, the chariot landed on gravel, while an unpleasant crunch reached the Potatoes' ears.

Wincing, Sheela got out, and blinked at the harsh sunlight that seemed to be poking at her eyes.