Chapter 9

Bliss.

The only word I could describe how I was feeling this past week.

A feeling I don't experience often. The last time I had felt so elated was when my dad and I went to a market in town. Just like most of my memories, I remembered it so clearly as if it was yesterday. He had taken pity on my isolation from people. Saw how I would look outside our windows and daydream of playing with the other kids. Kids older than me yet looked the same as I did.

I remember the happiness that radiated throughout my whole body when he told me we were going out. Said it was an early Christmas gift, accompanying him to the store to buy things for the holidays. I remember the cloudy sky and the exact clothes I had worn that day. Remembered how I fidgeted with my red jacket and hat in nervousness, hoping to make a good first impression to people that I would surely never meet again.

One day wouldn't hurt, he would repeatedly say to my aunt Charlotte who was nervous for our safety. At the time dad had already figured out that my gift lessened unusual traits he had that would hint of him being a vampire. His bloodlust (that he already had great control of) would be further lessened, the shimmer his skin would exhibit at the sight of the sun was almost unnoticeable and paired with the weather it was more so.

I had been awestruck that day. Taking in the view of different people entering and exiting the store as they were rushing to buy gifts for their loved one's last minute. Even when we hadn't gone out of the car yet, I was already filled with energy.

Too bad it was almost cut so soon. As an isolated child with enhanced senses, I wasn't prepared by the onslaught of noise that greeted me. I had felt everything so abruptly that it ended with me crying at the car begging my dad to go back. That I could take it. He relented.

After much preparation, we got down the car, and when the same sensations had hit me. My dad kneeled and stayed by my side while holding my hand. He taught me how to breath and concentrate only on things in front of me. And when I had adjusted to the sounds, we were able to enjoy our day together. Acting as if we were a normal family.

Of course, at that time, we were staying in an isolated town. There were only a few people that was there, but it was still too much for me to handle as young as I was. This time however, in a school filled with loud, rumbustious, teenage children - It was different, more overwhelming. Yet that memory with my dad in the parking lot had helped me adjust to the new environment I had found myself in.

And I was loving it.

Everyday for the past week I would observe the students coming into school in the morning. Occasionally taking pictures and drawing my newfound friends to commemorate my days with them. I had gotten closer with them, more so with Angela, sharing a love of photography with each other. We had even gotten in the school's photography club that oversaw the school paper. At lunch, they would sit together, listening to Jessica's gossips and Mike's sports update.

I had gotten closer with the Cullen's too.

Somewhat.

Alice always seemed eager to see me. Or rather eager for the treats she had taken a liking to. Feeling empathetic about her situation, I started bringing different kinds of snacks for her to try. I couldn't imagine what it felt like not being able to taste anything or everything other than blood tasting disgusting. I mean, I love the taste of blood too, to be fair. But getting to enjoy different flavors was a joy I would not give up on willingly.

Jasper seemed to have warmed up to me. He would give me a small smile every time we see each other. He would also try some of the sweets that I brought Alice.