Chapter 24

Charlotte ran her fingers across the sleek wood, she strummed her fingers lightly over the strings as she picked it up. She positioned it correctly, straightened out her posture and brought the bow to the strings, her fingers positioned on the strings and her eyes on the sheet of music. She started off quietly, dragging the bow across the strings slowly and gently, her eyes scanning over the paper quickly, memorising it in a few seconds before she closed her eyes and began to play, going over the notes inside her head.

It had been ages since she had played the violin and she hadn't realised she missed playing it until she laid her eyes on it. The butler had explained to her how he had kept it in perfect condition, even playing it a couple of times to make sure it still worked every couple of years since she had been gone from the family mansion.

Finishing the last chord, she sighed heavily and gently placed the violin and bow onto the table and she stood, running her hand through her hair as she opened the curtain and squinted as the bright sunlight hit her sensitive eyes. She had been awoken by a startling image and a gruff voice, the sound of voice and the sight of the image causing her to wake with a start and tremble slightly as she had done so and once she had been awoken it was quite difficult for her to go back to sleep so she had played a couple of songs of her guitar quietly and the one song on the violin to pass the time until she grew tired again.

She stumbled to her bed when the room suddenly began to spin and her vision blurring. She slumped heavily onto her soft bed, her hand raking across the duvet and she pulled herself onto it in fear that she'd fall off if she were to be sitting. She looked up at the ceiling, watching it spin and blur as images began to flash inside her head. She cursed quietly, a name leaving her lips before her eyes closed. "Zero."

-

"Hey, you two, are you guys serious?" Asked the Headmaster, his voice behind Zero and Yuki as the pair walked ahead of them, "It seems like I'm pestering but are you really, really sure about this? It's not a place I would recommend. Now is the time to turn back." The worry was clear in his voice as he looked at the two teens in front of him with concern. Was this really the right choice?

Yuki's steps hesitated and she looked up at Zero as they walked, "Zero... the Headmaster is saying all that. Is it really okay for me to go there?" She was beginning to grow concerned as well with the Headmaster asking if their decisions were the right one for the last hour and a half, for the whole journey there.

Zero shrugged, "I'm sure it's okay, you're part of this after all. Besides, don't you want to check with your own eyes?" 'I'm sure you'll want to know as well, Charlie.' Zero walked beside Yuki with his hands in his pockets, a bored expression on his face. They both grew quiet again for a wonderful several seconds until the Headmaster decided to start pestering again.

"The one I'm more worried about is Kiryu. You were able to go in and out like normal before, but now you're in a delicate position. You're a Hunter but you're also a vampire. Which the Association has a point of avoiding letting you into the depths...-"

"Headmaster! What is that? They're just using him!" Yuki snapped, looking back at the Headmaster and Yagari who walked beside the older man.

Zero placed his hand on her mouth, a warning look in his violet eyes as he looked down at her, "Don't criticise the Association so much, the people who live in this town are Vampire Hunters and those involved with the Association." They came to a stop in front of a building and Zero opened the door hesitantly, "This is it, I think. This is where you need to go."

The building looked a lot more spacious on the inside than it did from the outside. Zero, Yuki, the Headmaster and Yagari all entered silently, but everyone on the lower floor of the building all stopped what they were doing to look at the four of them as they entered the building.