Chapter 38

Charlotte rocked back and forth on her feet, her hands in her pockets and a bored look on her face. Her, Hanabusa and Yuki waited patiently for the door to open after Charlotte was the only one with enough guts to knock on the door. She tapped her foot slightly as she began to whistle an unknown tune to all three of them and she sighed, beginning to grow impatient.

Charlotte perked up when the door opened to reveal a man behind it with kind and welcoming light brown eyes, "Welcome, it's a pleasure to receive you two. You, who are both the youngest of all us pureblood vampires, as well as one of you being a created one. I am the Lord of this house, Isaya Shoto. I was in slumber for a long time and only just recently woke up again. Then I noticed I'd turned two thousand years old already... I've become an older man, even for a pureblood, alas." Charlotte chuckled at the man's explanation as well as his kind smile as he looked down at both Yuki and herself.

Yuki spoke first, "I am Yuki Kuran, I'm seventeen. And this Charlotte Aido, the created pureblood, and she's eighteen. It was a pity that you couldn't attend the recent ball." Yuki had come across as really timid and childlike, causing Charlotte to stand up straighter and subconsciously give off a more protective feel that caused Hanabusa to shift uncomfortably and Isaya to narrow his eyes slightly at Charlotte at the sudden change in the atmosphere she had caused.

But Isaya smiled softly anyway, "I've heard of it, actually, and of how something unfortunate happened with Ouri-dono and one of the hunters," he narrowed his eyes as they cast down to Yuki's bag and Charlotte's hand twitch in preparation in case she had to pull her back should Isaya decide to attack, "... and on that subject, what is it that you're carrying hidden in there?" His eyes flickered to Charlotte who was glaring at the ground and he tilted his head to the side, trying to figure out why she would suddenly be in such a sour mood.

"It's Artemis." Yuki took the rod out of her bag and flicked it out, a loud crack sliced through the air as the rod turned into a scythe due to her ability to wield anti-vampire weapons without getting harmed. Yuki turned back around to look at Charlotte and she frowned at the sight of the pink haired girl glaring down at the ground. She didn't know whether it was because of her taking out Artemis or something else, and she didn't know whether to address that or not.

Isaya's brown eyes lit up with delight, "Ooh. I had heard that from time to time that the Kuran clan gives birth to children who are able to wield hunter weapons despite being vampires. I had also heard that was why one of the Kurans had been able to become King in the past." He clasped his hands behind his back and he looked to Charlotte, a small reassuring smile on his face, "You needn't worry, little rarity, as I do not intend to cause harm on the little Kuran. I am not an enemy, and I know you are not one either."

Charlotte slowly lifted her head up at 'little rarity' and she tilted her head to the side, furrowing her eyebrows, "Oh... I wasn't worried about that..." She trailed off, widening her eyes at the realisation of what she said and she shook her head, "Just... okay, I understand." She gave a nod, giving up on trying to explain herself and she looked over at Yuki to give her the 'go ahead' in continuing with what they had really gone for.

Yuki cleared her throat to get Isaya's attention again, "Have you ever wished for your life to end?" Charlotte practically facepalmed at how  straightforward and abrupt she was.

"You're saying that because of Ouri-dono, aren't you? Whether we look at it from an active or passive viewpoint, I can't see that situation as being very desirable. Well, then, why are you carrying such a weapon with you?" He shifted his eyes to Charlotte who now had a blank expression on her face─as if she had her attention elsewhere rather than what was in front of her─before shifting his eyes back to Yuki.

"It's because I made up my mind." Yuki tightened her jaw, "What happened at the party- Even if I'm making a mistake, I don't want something like that to ever happen again." She looked over to Charlotte, a sad smile on her face, "Purebloods need a way to have their wishes come true..." she looked back over to Isaya, the sad look still in her eyes, "... without having to sacrifice anyone in the process. I don't want there to be any more victims. I don't want anyone to sacrifice someone else, and I don't want people to go through a saddening situation either; so that's why I will be the one to carry the burden of ending the lives of those who want to die. When the time comes for you to need this service, please remember me."