Chapter Thirteen: Internship Pt 1: Level Up

{Sparky has changed their name to Chargebolt.}

Chargebolt: {one new picture message}

Chargebolt: {Don't I look great? All the female sidekicks are gunna love me!}

{Shitty Hair has changed their name to Red Riot.}

Red Riot: {one new picture message}

Red Riot: {Yooo, I got Tetsutetsu here! Manliest team ever working for Fourth Kind! Let's rock these internships!}

{Short Stack has changed their name to Naimles.}

Naimles: {one new picture message}

Naimles: {Since everyone else is showing off their hero costumes, I figured I would too. Lets go beyond, Plus Ultra!}

Chargebolt: {oh my god, you're gorgeous! You're gonna have a boyfriend before you come back, I swear.}

Red Riot: {Super manly! Tetsutetsu says hi by the way!}

Lord Explosion Murder: {Fuck off! Stop blowing up the chat and do your shit!}

Chargebolt: {Someone's a grouch today...Best Jeanist got you down?}

Naimles: {He's just mad I kicked his butt sparring yesterday after you guys left.}

"Leinei, get off your phone," Reina yells, scaring her sister. She quickly shoves it in the back pocket of her suit pants, jogging to catch up with the pro. Her weighted combat boots thud against the ground with each step, practically pulling her forward each time she lifts her leg. She stays just behind Elementia, a stark contrast in the color schemes.

Elementia's costume was ruby red, basically a cat suit that she kept zipped up just to her chest. She had red and orange platform boots, and her visor, as well as her signature star hair ornament sitting around her bouncy curled ponytail. Leinei's hero suit was simple, black with purple accents, a pair of jeans with a three quarter sleeved crop top that showed her stomach and her arms below her elbows. She had weighted fingerless gloves to match her combat boots, and a sun visor sitting on her nose for reading emotional patterns and associative heat signatures. Her purple hair was pulled into twin ponytails at the back of her head, bouncing with each step just like her sister's.

"Good morning, Mrs. Kalvev," Elementia sings, waving at an elderly woman with a smile. "How's Mr. Kalvev?"

"Oh, he's just fine, thank you for asking," the lady says, stopping to talk as Leinei stops behind her. She could feel her phone buzzing in her back pocket, most likely more messages from the group chat. She smiles kindly at the woman. "Oh my, I don't think I've seen this one before. What's your name?"

"Naimles, I'm an intern from UA," she says, trying to keep the smile up. This lady was ridiculously happy, so happy it actually felt draining to poor Leinei. "It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Kalvev."

"Naimles. Interesting choice for a name."

"She's still workshopping it," Elementia says, laughing as she rubs her neck. "Has Toda been by to help with your groceries yet?"

"Oh, that delivery was yesterday. You're such a dear for worrying about it."

"It's what we're here for. Do you need us to walk you home?"

"No, I'm fine. You two have a fun patrol!"

"Have a good day, Mrs. Kalvev!"

They continue walking down the sidewalk, greeting people and talking. Each interaction leaves Leinei more and more drained, as if she had a battery that drained with each new person she met. She didn't even feel this drained sitting in class with the others, but figured that it must be because she has to put on that hero persona, that personality everyone will come to know her as. Fake the happiness she's supposed to feel, that smile that hurts her face no matter what happens.