Chapter 51: Distance

Keigo hums softly as he waves at the receptionist of the Commission's building. She smiles and waves back, nodding at him before returning to her paperwork for the day. He offers a few casual greetings to a few of the suits milling around, all smiles until they turn their backs to him.

Filthy winged beast.

Disgusting.

How is he so lazy so high up in the rankings?

Ridiculous.

It wasn't like he couldn't hear the cruel things they said about him. Hell some of them even hurt. But, so long as they're about him, they don't bother him too much. It's until someone says something about Reina or Leinei that he loses his cool. He can handle the slander to his name and to his quirk, even his personality and tastes, even if most of them were orchestrated by the President herself, the evil old crow.

Everything I do, I do so they can have a better life. I'll shoulder it all, as much as I can until I break, so they don't have to suffer anymore. Heh, it's all I'm good for. Giving everyone else a better life.

Hm..when was the last time I went out to lunch with them? I should get to know Katsuki better too, and Atsuhiro. They seem like they're gonna stick around in their lives for a while...hehe, maybe I should find a date too, that would be fun!

The idea made him chuckle as he stepped onto an elevator leading up to the highest floor where the President resided. He yawns as the elevator dings through each of the floors, stretching his arm behind his head to scratch the spot just below his neck. The fact he feels so exhausted reminds him he should have grabbed a coffee before coming here. Tsukuyomi is in class right now..I can probably catch a few hours of sleep before I have to actually do anything. I wonder how Lei Bay is doing with her work study...I heard she arrested a villain all by herself.

"Hawks, your floor?" one of the suits says, getting his attention. He smiles and waves his thanks as he walks past, letting the doors close behind him. He glances around the office, seeing the President at her desk with the windows closed behind her. Oh that's never a good sign.

"Ya called for me?" he asks, walking up to the desk. "Since you wanted me here before the new rankings are announced next month."

"I'm aware, Hawks," she replies, looking up from her paperwork. "So I've been made privy to the fact you haven't spoken to Empathia about her mission?"

The moment she chooses a hero name they like, that's all she is, huh..?

"Ah, not yet," he laughs, shaking his head as he rubs the back of his neck. "I meant to tell her while I was last at the school for that work study assembly, but she ran off before I could discuss anything with her. I did manage to talk Fatgum into taking her into his program, so that's a win!"

"Of course. He'll make sure she gets plenty of hands-on experience. Despite the fact we wanted her underneath Elementia, but I'm sure you had the Commission's best interests at heart, correct?"

"Just who do you take me for!" he continues, smiling and tilting his head. "I owe you guys everything. Why wouldn't I?"

"I was just making sure. Sometimes your motives...are questionable. We don't like questionable alliances here, Hawks. We don't have to worry about that with you, now do we?"

"Not at all! I'm the loyal messenger pigeon for you," he assures, the words twisting his stomach and making him feel nauseous. "It's just been hard as well, trying to find time to tell her. She does have friends at her school now. She's done amazing at UA so far."