Chapter Twenty-Five: Three Steps Forward

Trigger warnings: mentions of cheating, and a break up through text. Music selection for this chapter: Start Again by OneRepublic ft Logic, and How to Save A Life by The Fray. Don't worry, our kids will be home soon.

"And you found all of this in Toda's apartment?" Naomasa says, looking through the papers as Reina and Eia stand there in front of his desk. Eia watches Reina nod, biting down on her thumb nail as she folds her other arm under her chest. "These seem almost...like he was assessing them to give to someone. Harvesting quirks or something."

"Look at that you can do your job," Reina snaps at him, shrinking back as he looks up with an eyebrow raised. "I'm sorry, I'm still reeling. I-I can't believe he would do something like this."

"And you said you haven't been able to get a hold of him since last night?" he asks.

"That's right," Eia speaks up, stepping forward and placing a hand on the small of Reina's back. "I tried calling him when he never showed for his shift today and Elementia tried to get a hold of him on the way in and while she was in the office. We went to his apartment after, and it was empty except for those files."

"Understood," he tells them, nodding his head. "This doesn't entirely clear you, Elementia, but it looks better than it did. If you can get me footage of him breaking into your office to get these files, you'll be cleared. However, I was cleared to give you some information about your sister's situation."

"Is she okay?" Reina asks immediately, lurching forward and pressing her hands to the desk. Her eyes are wide, her heart beating fast in her chest. "Have-have they called to demand a ransom, or anything? I-I need to know please."

"We have two possible ideas as to where they are," he assures her. "We are scheduling a raid for tomorrow night during a press conference the school is holding with Vlad King, Eraserhead, and Principal Nezu. We'll be hitting both places at the same time so they can't escape. Hopefully we won't be too late."

"I want to join," she demands, curling her hands into fists. "I need to join this raid-"

"I apologize for insinuating that we still had open slots available for this," he replies to her, leaning back in the chair. "We already have both teams ready, and we are waiting for them to finish their work up today and early tomorrow to focus solely on this mission. You were not chosen as you are too close to one of the victims and are not able to think objectively, as you keep proving my point."

"That's my fucking sister!" she yells at him, slamming her fist into the desk. Eia flinches and comes forward, murmuring some gentle words to ease her away from it. "You bastards-"

"I understand this is a stressful situation for you," he assures. "I can sympathize with you, but you have to understand where we are coming from here. What if you were to lose yourself for a moment? You are not a judge, jury, and executioner, you are to leave that to the proper authorities. And at this moment in time, I do not believe you are capable of being objective and disconnected from the situation. We have two hostages in this situation, not just your sister. Both of their safeties are our top priority, and at this moment in time, you would jeopardize one for the other."

"Elementia, he's right," Eia says softly, seeing the redhead's green eyes nearly glowing with anger. "Breathe. He's just doing his job."

"You..." She takes a deep breath, exhaling through her nose. "You'll call me as soon as she's safe, right? The moment you have her secured?"

"I promise on my career," Naomasa assures her, nodding his head as he looks at her sympathetically. He doesn't see the cool headed hero with a constant smile. He sees a stressed out older sibling terrified for her sister's safety, and doing her best to bring her home alive. "I suggest you take the rest of the day and tomorrow off. If your sidekicks would let you. You need to rest and be ready."