Chapter 91: Dead End

Leinei flinches as Recovery Girl shines a light in her eyes, first the right then the left. She blinks after she's done, pulling back a little to rub one with the heel of her palm. The nurse checked her healing wound, making sure the stitches had done their job and kept the skin pieced together so that it would heal. She taps her knees with her cane, shaking her head as Leinei's legs jerk out with a faster than average response time. She has her hold a pen on the tip of her finger, balancing it as she taps her nose with the other hand, then doing the opposite with the other hand. These little tests keep going for about twenty minutes, wearing Leinei's patience.

"You look much better than you did when you came back to us, little miss," she remarks, looking up at the purple haired girl before finally stepping away and sitting at her desk. Leinei nods, pushing herself off the bed to stand, feeling anxious and ready to move. "I don't see any reason why you can't return back to field work with the others, though no one would fault you if you chose to stay behind. After everything you've been through-"

"It just gives me more of a reason to keep going onward," she says in return, stretching her left arm across her chest, pulling it further with her right. Then she switches as she adds, "Thank you, Recovery Girl."

The nurse nods and she walks away, closing the door behind her. Anxious relief fills her system as she starts down the hall to the conference room. It's been doubling as a command center since the fight at Jaku Hospital, the surviving teachers doling out orders and patrols to the others. Every Hero Course student in UA was supposed to report there daily for their sectors and specific orders if there were any.

She knocks twice on the door before opening it and stepping in. Present Mic, Cementoss, and Nezu are looking over reports and delegating patrol sectors, specialized missions, and refugee evacuations under different lists on a white board. Nezu looks up as she walks over to the table, offering a weak smile.

"Miss Salinsa, it's wonderful to see you ready to rejoin your class. Did Recovery Girl clear you?" he asks, his normally cheerful voice weary.

"Yeah, just a few minutes ago. Where am I needed?"

"Hawks actually requested you join him as soon as you were able to," Cementoss speaks up, grabbing her attention. "He said to call him the moment Recovery cleared you."

"I see. And after that?"

"Ketsubutsu requested a little help with some of their patrol sectors. Due to your extended experience, we thought it best to send you. Shiketsu also requested extra help, but we thought that maybe Creati or Shoto due to your history with them," Nezu adds, nodding.

"I'll help Ketsubutsu. Thank you very much."

She turns on her heel and leaves, closing the door behind her as she pulls her phone out of her pocket. She clicks the auto-dial widget on her homescreen for Keigo, holding it to her ear as she walks down the hall to the changing rooms to get into her hero suit.

"Hey, Bay, what's up?" Keigo answers on the third ring, out of breath. She can hear some yelling in the background, specifically Endeavor and an unrecognizable voice. Must be in a villain fight.

"The teachers told me to call you when I was cleared for field work," she says, pushing the door open to the changing room and walking to her locker.

"Oh shit, you were cleared today? Okay, can you give me like...Hey Endeavor, how long do you think this'll take us? Okay, cool! Can you give me like thirty minutes and I'll be there? Just meet me outside your school."

"Alright."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

She hangs up first, setting her phone on the shelf in her locker before undoing the clasps on her case. Opening it, she sees a slim packet of papers on top of her repaired suit. She takes it and sits on the bench behind her, one leg stretched out as she leans over it and studies it.