Chapter Eleven

I shakily unlocked the door and rammed my shoulder into it to get it open.  I heard a shrill and predictably drunk voice call out to me.

“Lily! Oh, Lily!”

Mum wobbled in uneasily and grasped me in a viciously tight hug. I cried out as my fresh, tender bruises were pressed. She let go of me and took a few steps back, looking at me with concern.

“Sweetheart, what’s wrong?”

She had yet to notice the two strangers standing behind me.  No sooner had I thought that, Mum looked over my shoulder and her face changed and hardened. I hesitated, unsure as to how to introduce everyone. Luckily, Sam stepped in and held out his hand.

“Hi, Ms. Banbury,” he said, ever the gentleman. “I’m Sam Murphy and this is my brother, Thomas. I’m a friend of Lily’s from school.”

Mum’s hand stayed by her side as she warily took in Sam’s haggard appearance. She could see the small cut on his cheek, his bloodshot eyes and then her gaze fell to his still outstretched hand.  She shook it once but still said nothing.

Mac saved the day and came bounding down the stairs.

“Sammy!” she yelped and leaped up into his arms, unaware of the pain that flashed across his face.

“’Ello, pumpkin,” he replied. “You alright?”

“I was playing with my dolls today and one of them is called Sam and he’s my favourite and-“ She stopped and pointed at Thomas. “Who’s that?”

Sam chuckled.
“That’s my brother. His name is Thomas.”

Mac struggled to say his name, and, despite concentrating very hard, the best she could manage was “Toma” so that was what she called him. 

Whilst everyone else was distracted, Mum took the opportunity to drag me into the kitchen, suddenly very sober.  When the door was shut, her arms were folded and a vein was pulsing in her neck. I was for it.

“Lily. Answer me now. Who is that boy? And why the hell does Mac know him?”

“Well,” I started. “Seeing as you’ve been out most of the time and I can’t leave Mac by herself, Sam’s been coming here and spending time with her and me, meaning I actually have some form of a social life. They get on really well and he’s really sweet to her. I don’t know much about Thomas but he seems nice too.”

“I don’t care if he’s second in line to the throne, he looks like trouble. I want you to stay away-“

“Oh, shut up, Mum. Don’t be ridiculous. You don’t even know him!”

“Yes, but I know his type.”

I scoffed.

“Of course you do.”

“Now, listen here, young lady. How dare you bring a boy back to my house without me meeting him first.”

“You would have met him far sooner if you weren’t drunk all the ti-“

She slapped me right across the face. I gasped and place a hand to my stinging cheek. All had gone quiet outside. Mum looked shocked and stared at her own hand, appalled by what she had done.

“I’m so sorry… I don’t know- I just-“

I stormed out of the kitchen and ran upstairs.  I heard Sam following me.  Thomas stayed with Mac, who had started crying, obviously aware of the tense atmosphere.  He was consoling her and talking in a soothing voice, reminding me again at how mature and beyond his age he was.  I reached my bedroom and collapsed next to the bed, all the emotion from the day catching up with me. I started to cry and didn’t stop.  Sam put his arm around me and stroked my shoulder with his thumb, whispering consolation into my ear.