Chapter Nine

I awoke in a cold sweat, my bed sheets tangled. I extricated myself wondering what had happened. Then I remembered my dream. Only it felt like more than a dream… I was still trying to put my finger on it when I sat down for breakfast.  Spooning cornflakes into my mouth, I barely noticed Mum calling my name from the other side of the table.

“…Lily, please listen.”

“Huh?” I replied, mouth open.

“Don’t be disgusting. I’m going to need you to pick up Mac from nursery today.”

“Why?”

Mum never did anything anymore.

“I’ve got a meeting…”

“But you don’t work, Mum.”

She looked so suspicious it was almost comic.  I grunted.

“Ugh, never mind. I’ll just pick her up-”

“-And cook dinner.” She looked guiltily across at me.

“Fine! Anything else you want me to do for your daughter while you pretend to be at a meeting?”

She looked outraged but shut up all the same.

It was another uncharacteristically cold day; I returned into the house to grab some gloves before leaving for school. 

Thoughts of my dream haunted me as I walked slowly to school. I really wasn’t up for doing any work today. I scuffed the crispy leaves, relishing in the crunch they made when I stepped on them.

As I let out a girlish giggle, I heard a deep voice chuckle behind me. Whipping around, I saw the familiar figure that was Sam. A smile played on my lips and I blushed like a madwoman.
“You like leaves, huh?” he smirked.

“Yes. Very much so. Problem?”

I felt his hand link with mine.

“Not at all. It’s cute.” He winked at me then pulled me along, pretending to be running to get to school.

He shouted that we were going to be late and ran with his feet turned outwards, chin sticking up.

 I was in absolute stitches, gripping my stomach when we arrived in the classroom. Due to the running, we were the only ones in the room.

Except for Amy.

She met my eye and gave me a contemptuous glance. I felt Sam stiffen beside me and steer me towards the other side of the classroom.

“Amy-“ I started.

“No, Lily, just leave it,” she replied and turned away from me, looking out of the window at the slowly gathering crowds of students. Uninvited tears fell down my cold cheeks.

I’d lost my best friend… Over a boy… Well, man, I guess.

Sam sat down and pulled me onto his lap, wrapping his arms tight around me.

“It’s okay, Lily. I’ve got you,” he whispered, reminding me suspiciously of my dream. Oh great: it was going to follow me around when I was awake too. Just flipping perfect.

The classroom began to fill with students, all of them shooting me and Sam bemused looks. The number of times the ‘popular’ girls gave me dirty looks for being with him was unreal. They all thought I wasn’t good enough, pretty enough, cool enough to be with him.

Tough luck, girls, because I am, I thought, with a smirk.

Watson stormed in perfectly on time and glared at me. Jeez, it must be national “let’s-give-Lily-evils” day…