Chapter Nineteen

The morning dragged by slowly, my mind clouded by confusing Maths equations and scientific conundrums I didn’t care about.  Sam wasn’t in any of my lessons. He had Art and then Music, neither of which I took.  The bell rang for lunch and I quickly grabbed my bag and left, signing out as I went through the main office. 

   The walk to Mac’s school wasn’t a long one but it gave me time to consider how I would be able to deliver the bag without Sam knowing.  I thought during the whole journey but to no avail.  Mac looked pleased to see me when I arrived and started on her daily report.  I enjoyed listening about her day because it made me remember how wonderful my childhood was.  I missed being young.

“Hey, sweetie,” I interrupted. “You want to go see Mummy?” Mac’s eyes lit up and her face broke into the biggest smile I’d ever seen.

“Yes!” she cried. “Mummy! I haven’t seen her for years and years!”

“Not quite that long,” I said, laughing, but guilt shot through me. I was the reason she hadn’t seen her own mother…

“When are we going?!” she exclaimed.

“Right now,” I answered. “Shall we run there?”

We managed to make the ten minute journey in five and soon we were outside our house.  I stood three steps behind Mac as she bounded up to the door and rang the doorbell multiple times as well as knocking. Mum answered the door, looking so taken aback at the flying girl that was Mac jumping into her arms. Her eyes filled with tears as she held onto Mac tightly.  She opened her arms eventually so I could step into them as well and join the embrace.  I held back for a second but then realised just how much I missed my mum.  We three made our way into the house and straight into the familiarity of the living room.  Mac immediately jumped onto the sofa and turned the TV on, switching to her favourite cartoons. I smiled at her. She was home.

   Mum sat down next to her and beckoned for me to join them.  I took my seat and, slightly reluctantly, leaned against Mum.  I began to silently grieve for the life I used to have.  I loved having Sam in my life, but it seemed that ever since we met, I’d had nothing but trouble. As though she was reading my thoughts, Mum spoke.

“So, tell me about Sam,” she said.  “What’s he like?”  I smiled at the thought of him.  Despite him being a magnet for trouble, I really loved him.

“He’s perfect,” I answered, sighing. “He’s so good to me and Mac. He’s smart, funny, so attractive and just…perfect.”

“Sounds like he stepped right out of a novel,” Mum replied, chuckling.  “I’m sure I’ve seen him somewhere though…” She trailed off in thought but shook her head. “How long have you been seeing him?”

I counted back the time.

“Since the start of the year.”

“That’s not too long,” Mum said, sounding relieved.

“Yeah, I guess, but as cliché as it sounds, I feel like I’ve known him forever.”

“You’re right, that is cliché!”

I nudged her in the side.  We stayed quiet and became absorbed in the cartoons.  An hour later, I stood up and walked to the kitchen to make two cups of tea. On the way to the kettle, I noticed the calendar that had been on the fridge for as long as I could remember.  A particular event caught my eye.  Tonight at six, Mum would be attending an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting. And the week after that. And the week after that.  She was serious about this. My eyes glazed over with both pride and relief.  Maybe she was ready…

     I wiped my tears away and continued to fill up the kettle.  Under the guise of looking for sugar, I searched to see if there were any remnants of wine or alcohol.  I found nothing.  Turning around, I noticed how happy Mac was to be home.  However affectionate she was about Sam and Thomas, she belonged here.