Chapter 8

Chapter 8

'You should listen to old people once in a while, I hear they give good advice'

Marcie's T.P.P.O.V

She would've found the situation highly amusing if it wasn't for the fact it was her in the predicament. Not even looking back she kept going holding onto her towel on her head as he ran after her.

Breathing heavily she looked at the two paths trying to figure out which one to go through. Hearing the footsteps grow louder she chose the second one looking at an opened door and running in.

"Finally," she said her breathing hard, her heart seconds away from bursting against her chest. Closing the door behind her and falling down she tried to take soothing breathes. That was until she realized she was not alone.

"Is anybody there?," the voice was thick with a New Yorkers accent, but soft belonging to an old lady. Gulping loudly she considered running, but she couldn't find herself to leave and so opening her eyes she got off the floor dusted off her uniform and said an almost in audible 'yes'.

And that's how she found herself sitting with an old lady named Marjorie. In the 45 minutes she was with her she's learned the lady was old, but was young at heart. Doing things she's never even considered doing.

She was 69 years old and had a husband a man named Lucas who died when he was only 34 fighting in war. He was Marjorie's soft spot the way she talked about him as if he was still there.

"So that's how I got here," Marcie said finishing her long agonizing story.

"Ahhhh love makes you do some crazy things," Marjorie smiled.

"You know I have a grandson about your age," Marjorie said winking.

"That's why I'm here he probably won't like it that I came, but I just love that boy so much. I can't help, but embarrass him. What's a grandmother to do?," she said picking up her chess piece and jumping over three of Marcie's pieces and taking them in the process.

"I have a feeling you played this game more than you said you did. You promised to go easy," Marcie grunted moving her little horse piece to a spot she hoped the old lady wouldn't be able to get too.

"Well I lied," Marjorie smiled picking up her piece and skillfully jumping over Marcie's horse "checkmate."

"This game is rigged your not telling me the right rules," Marcie grumbled.

Being a sore-loser and pouting like a child.

"They didn't call me a chess master in high school for no reason," Marjorie said before looking at her and adding "don't worry I'll let you win the next game....maybe," Marjorie said slyly. The phone rang bringing both their attentions and Marjorie hastily got up saying she'd be back in a minute.

Looking at her phone Marcie wondered why her aunt hasn't called yet. Or her sweet family not even checking up to see if she landed safely. She felt alone once again even with someone else in the room.

Her mood paled slightly, if only she was here.

Marcie was young at the age of six or seven and that's when she lost her mother.

Maria Gonzales (her maiden name) was a beautiful lady with flowing brown hair and hazel eyes. She was a piece of jewelry her dad and Marcie treasured, but she only was kept here for so long.

She had to go back to where angels should always go. That's at least how her dad explained it, too young to understand Marcie asked if she could go too.

It wasn't fair her mother got all the fun. But as the days past she realized she was never coming back.

The day of the funeral everyone dressed in black Marcie wanted to wear her pink dress, not the scummy black dress, but it wasn't her choice. Already in afoul mood Marcie went, it wasn't until she saw what laid in the casket she fully understood.

She screamed saying she didn't want to leave throwing a tantrum and telling them to leave her mom alone she wasn't supposed to be going in the ground that's not what her father said.

They all watched her in tears as her little body shook. Prying her hands of the deceased woman and taking her inside. And from there things changed.

Her father succumbed to depression leaving Marcie alone to fight for herself leaving her to grow into what she is and threw himself in less than two years to another marriage.

Not completely forgetting her, but he didn't spend time with her and while he threw himself into work she spent more time in school, studying, watching, and learning.

She learned in the years that you couldn't rely on anyone. She pushed herself into music and her favorite band and it wasn't the right thing.

But it seemed close enough.

Before she even realized it the old woman was back, looking at Marcie's saddened distanced expression knowing it all too well.

"So are we going to continue the game," Marjorie asked.

"Yes," Marcie said softly only now realizing she had been crying.

They continued on playing talking and then Marcie stopped to ask something that was bugging her.

"Why didn't you ask?"

"When someone is crying, of course, the noble thing to do is to comfort them. But if someone is trying to hide their tears, it may also be noble to pretend you do not notice them."

"Wow you do give good advice," Marcie smiled.

"Who darling?," Marjorie asked curiously.

"Old people," Marcie smiled cheekily her face tinging red.

Marjorie laughed.

"but I think I've heard it before in a book," she said recalling the book she had read in the summer.

"Wow so you still do that?"

"What exactly?," Marcie smiled.

"Read," and they both started laughing so hard tears came.

"I had lots of fun thank you Marjorie," Marcie said smiling at the older woman.

"Me too. Maybe we can do that soon," she winked.

"Oh yeah your grandson. I told you I already have someone in mind," Marcie smiled.

"Pish-posh you know men, one in the same," Marjorie said with a sly smile.

"Anyways I guess I have to go," Marcie said with a slight frown.

"It's just the bitter truth you can't avoid," Marjorie said a grin making it's way onto her face.

"Yes, yes it is," Marcie said laughing.

And that's how her day went tears, laughter, and some stolen advice.

Old people are truly amazing.

***Authors Note: If you didn't know that line was from Lemony Snicket. I don't really know if I got the point across that it was really only Kayla's mom in the first couple of chapters so I hope this clears things up. Hope you enjoyed! :*)