Chapter 22

'Sometimes you need to get a little lost in order to find yourself.'

Chapter 22

Reese had finally called on Day 2 of Marcie's technology strike. A good day too because she was struggling to not watch television when there was a wonderfully large television set in front her eyes. Oh the struggles of upper middle class.

"Hey Marcie! Want to hang out?" The voicemail asked cheerily. Marcie had refused to pick up annoyed beyond belief Reese hadn't noticed her absence. The nerve of some people. Diane simply watched Marcie slump from the couch to the floor in record breaking time.

"Wow, do that any longer and I'll have to send it in to America's Boring-est Videos." Diane put down the cat food she had been holding and Marcie had an odd sense of satisfaction that the cat would go a little hungrier because of this little chat.

As if on cue Chester gave her one serious glare that said: 'Hand over the catnip woman.' Diane hadn't noticed and Marcie smiled. Marcie: 2 Cat:0 for the day.

She really had to get some new hobbies.

"You know you can't just ignore her because-"

"Because she ignored me." Marcie finished.

"And yes I can because as soon as she gets new friends she rids of the Marcie that has taken up her time. I look the fool Aunt Diane. I feel the fool too." Marcie grumbled sadly. Diane looked at her smiling.

"You look the fool?"

"Nows not the time for jokes. If I made new friends I'm almost completely sure she would--forget about me and talk to her new friends." Marcie sighed.

"Aunt Diane I need you to make me another friend." Diane looked outraged.

"Another friend I had to go digging for this friend. I had to pull her here and tell her all about my stamp collection to get her interested enough to come into my house." Marcie knew Diane was kidding, at least she had hoped so. Was stamp collecting cooler than being her friend?

'Probably,' she reasoned.

"Listen I'll take you to the mall and we can go friend shopping." Marcie jumped with joy, fist pumping the air like she was at a concert.

"Friend shopping!" She yelled excitedly.

She was going to dress in plain blue jeans and her sleeping top, but this situation called for more drastic measures. It called for a dress.

When she skipped back down the stairs Diane complimented her choice of clothing and they were off.

"Going friend shopping with my A-U-N-T! That spells aunt if you know what I mean!" She sang loud enough for the other drivers to hear. They gave Diane questionable looks and honked insistently to get Marcie to stop.

Diane turned up the volume on the radio and let one of Breakouts songs play. Marcie was thoroughly appeased and didn't sing again...until you know the chorus came.

They both wore blue and matching sunglasses Diane had picked out for them. Marcie was almost guaranteed a friend today if not she'd at least be getting a call tomorrow.

"So where are the friends?" Marcie asked while Diane searched a sales rack.

"Umm. Check on that 30% off rack over there." Marcie looked at Diane questionably.

"Well shoes are a girls best friend." Diane howled with laughter getting the attention of all the sales associates and customers. Marcie smacked her head. She'd never make friends with this woman along. She suddenly longed for Reese and Delilah's company.

They walked into a few more stores. Marcie following along to Reese like a lost cat or dog or whatever seems to like to follow people. So a stalker I guess.

"Hey look that's Brandon Hawkings!" Some teenage girl in spandex yelled. Who wears spandex? Besides the yoga video instructors.

Brandon Hawkings!

She saw two figures running.

"Who's the girl?" Marcie tried to move away from the crowd to see, but all she saw was the back of a head.

A pair of blue worn out running shoes she knew too well and a shopping bag wafting around in the other hand.

'Well look at that,' she thought.

'Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue,' Marcie thought grimly.

'What is she trying to do get hitched?' Was the last thought she had before a crowd of overly eager girls came and tried to kill her.

She lay on the floor, dazedly. Diane rushing towards her with a face full of concern.

"I think you made some new friends. Too bad they tried to run you over, right?" Diane said trying to stray from the topic at hand.

They walked to the parking lot in silence. Diane said nothing about the Reese situation and Marcie felt betrayed by her own aunt and her faux friend.

"You knew didn't you?" Marcie stated.

"And I looked like a high-strung idiot. You probably knew about the letters too. I'm such an idiot...such an idiot." Marcie started to walk off in the other direction, exiting the parking lot.

"You're just like my dad. You both probably think I'm an idiot with no redeeming qualities. Well that's fine. It really is. I'll just get out of your way." Diane didn't say a word back and Marcie felt like that was her way of saying goodbye guest-in-my-home-that-doesn't-serve-purpose-besides-eating-my-food-and-annoying-me.

It was a pity this game of hide and seek. She was almost completely sure no one would come looking.

Author's Note: THANKS FOR READING!