4

Olivia's POV

Rafael's mother and grandmother were very kind to me, and they didn't dig too deep into my life. They asked some basic questions like if I had kids and a few questions about my parents. I told them that my parents were dead, and that shut them down. By the time we ate dinner with Rafael's mother and grandmother to, I was overstimulated and needed sleep. So Rafael excused us before we left together.

"I'm sorry that this lasted so long. When they get to talking, many meals pass." Rafael chuckled softly as we walked down the sidewalk together.

"It's okay." I breathed.

"Are you sure, Liv? This isn't what we had agreed too..." Rafael trailed off as we made it to his car.

"I know that this isn't what we agreed to, but I'd do anything for you... but I just need more warning next time." I sighed.

Rafael nodded before opening the passenger side. I climbed in and steadied my breathing as Rafael moved around to the driver's side.

"Do you want me to take you home?" Rafael asked, and I nodded quickly.

"Please."

"Anything for you, Liv."

///

Rafael and I didn't contact each other too much the first few days of the week. We'd say hello to each other when we'd see each other in the courthouse, or he'd send me a text to check up on me. But nothing more.

On Thursday night, Rafael came into the precinct with dinner for me. I was on the night shift, and he must have found out from one of the others.

"I brought Thai." Rafael smiled as he walked into the squadroom.

"Uh, why?" I asked.

"Because we haven't seen each other in several days, and I missed you. Also, my reunion is on Saturday and I wanted to see if we were still on for that."

I sighed softly as I walked back to my desk.

"I guess."

"Olivia-"

"I agreed to this, and I won't just stand you up. So tell me what I need to wear or something." I sighed.

Rafael and I settled down to eat, but I didn't help keep the conversation going. I was really regretting this fake relationship with him.

"Olivia? Did you hear what I asked?" Rafael spoke, and I glanced up from my container and eyed him.

"Huh?"

"Are you doing okay? You left many of my messages on read and avoid talking to me when I'm here... I'm worried about you, because I'm not sure that you'd tell me if anything was wrong." Rafael frowned.

I let out a weak sigh before looking back down at my container.

"This has been a lot harder than I had expected... your mother and grandmother were so very kind to me, and I don't want to hurt them in the end. I also am not a big fan of lying, but it seems like you may be." I grumbled.

"Olivia... I'm not trying to hurt anyone, especially not Ma and Abuela. I'm just trying to get people to leave me alone and to not pressure me into something I don't want. I have met no one that makes me want to settle down. No one that makes me want to have kids. I don't think that there is someone out there for me, so this is the only way to get people to leave me the hell alone." Rafael snapped.

My eyes went wide as I looked up at him. His face was red and his eyes were full of tears.

"There is-"

"There isn't someone out there for me! There isn't someone who likes a man that works hundreds of hours a month! Someone who has two overbearing women in his life, ones that he won't say no to. Olivia, don't try to make me feel better when I know the truth! So if you don't want to fucking do this, then just tell me! Stop saying false things about me!" Rafael yelled.

I swallowed hard and stood when he did. I reached out and grabbed his hand as he packed up dinner. I hesitantly intertwined our fingers together before reaching out and gently touching his chin. I tilted his head up to look at me, and Rafael swallowed hard.

"I'm sorry." I breathed weakly.

"No, you aren't."

"Rafael, I am incredibly sorry. I will never say things like that again. You are an amazing man, and what happens isn't intentional... I agreed to this relationship, so I will continue to be a part of it until you are ready to be done with it. I love you, and I want you to be happy." I sniffled. I quickly stepped forward and hugged him tightly as he started to sob.

///

After our heart-to-heart, I realized that I just had to play my part without complaining. Rafael was so pressured to be exactly what he thought everyone wanted him to be, that it was getting to him. So on the night of the reunion, I was determined to make it an amazing night. One where Rafael actually had fun.

"Are you almost ready? We gotta leave in like ten minutes!" Rafael exclaimed from my living room. I was sitting on my bed as I pulled my heels on and smiled. He was eager to go suddenly.

"I'm not even dressed yet!" I called back, as I smiled and stood. After a few moments, I heard Rafael grumble to himself as he knocked on my bedroom door.

"Olivia... my best friend... you gotta pick up the pace. Your ass was supposed to be dressed like ten minutes ago." Rafael sighed.

I walked over and opened the door before smiling at him.

"Do I look good?" I asked.

Rafael's eyes went wide as he looked me over. I had settled on a dark green dress, black heels, and a leather jacket. I felt incredibly pretty, and I was hoping that Rafael liked how I looked.

"I asked you a question, Barba." I grinned.

"W-wow, Liv. You look stunning." Rafael breathed.

"Yeah?" I asked, as my cheeks grew red and hot.

"Yeah... I don't know why you don't dress like this all the time." Rafael smiled as he ran his hand over the back of his neck.

"If I dressed like this all the time, I don't think anyone would get any work done."