5

Rafael's POV

When Olivia and I walked into that reunion together, I knew people were staring at us. Olivia looked beyond stunning tonight, and I was the luckiest man on Earth since I got to be her date for the night.

"Name?" One of my old classmates asked, as she looked over the name tags.

"Rafael Barba." I replied. She looked up quickly and smiled.

"Rafael? I haven't seen you since graduation!"

"Uh, I'm sorry. I'm not great with faces." I laughed nervously. I didn't want to focus on any of faces tonight other than Olivia's. But I realized I must interact with others, even if it was against my will.

"Emily Griffin! We were on the debate team together." She smiled.

"Of course! It's great to see you, Em. Uh, this is my girlfriend... Olivia Benson. Liv, this is Emily." I spoke, as I took the name tag from Emily and pressed it to my jacket.

"It's nice to meet you, Olivia. Here is your tag too. It is an open bar, so enjoy the booze." Emily spoke, as she handed Olivia her name tag.

"We will." Olivia smiled.

Olivia and I made our way into the crowded ballroom. My classmates were spread out all over. Some were sitting and talking to each other, while others danced together. I looked over at Olivia and saw how she was staring at all of this in amazement. I don't know why, but the look of surprise and excitement made me smile.

"What would you like to do?" I asked softly, as I wrapped my arm around Olivia's waist. I pulled her closer as a group passed by us.

"I do not know... but Rafa, I didn't expect it to be like this. It looks so nice." Olivia smiled.

"Yeah, a lot of my classmates are super rich. But don't get used to this. Your life as my fake girlfriend means that this is fancy as it gets, before we go back to my small apartment and drink cheap beer." I whispered.

"That is my favorite night though, Rafa. Just spending time with my best friend." Olivia breathed before she leaned over and kissed my cheek gently.

///

Olivia and I ended up getting a few drinks and sitting together. There wasn't a lot for us to talk about, but we enjoyed it anyway. By the time we were a little buzzed, a few slow songs had played, and another was just starting. So I pulled Olivia to her feet and dragged her onto the dance floor.

"I'm terrible at dancing." She giggled, her cheeks flushed from not only smiling but from the alcohol that we had consumed.

"So am I... you should have seen me at the Mayor's Dinner. One of my co-workers asked me to dance, and we were stepping all over each other's feet. I think she might have broken one of my toes." I replied.

Olivia let out a laugh before resting her head in the crook of my neck. I let out a small sigh and wrapped my arms around her as we swayed back and forth with the other couples. Well, the real couples.

Having her in my arms felt amazing tonight, and I don't know if it was because I was developing feelings for her, or if maybe the booze was talking. But either way, I am enjoying this night more than I ever thought I could.

"The song stopped." Olivia whispered, as she kept her head in the crook of my neck.

"I don't care." I replied softly.

"Rafael, do you want to go sit again or-"

"Can we just sit here and continue this?" I asked weakly. Olivia leaned back and looked at me for a moment before nodding slowly.

"Of course we can, but I need to ask you something."

"Ask away." I replied as cooly as I could. But I was nervous about her question.

"Do you still think that this is a fake relationship? Or are you feeling something more?"

///

Olivia and I left not long after she asked me her question. I was flustered and overwhelmed, so I ended our night early. I drove her back to her place, but she didn't get out when we arrived.

"Do you need me to walk you up?" I grumbled.

"No, I don't need you to walk me up... but I need you to tell me what is bothering you. Why you decided to leave the reunion even though we were having a lot of fun." Olivia frowned.

"Nothing is bothering me. I am tired and tomorrow I have church. I need to get some sleep and you do, too." I sighed.

"Rafael-"

"Why do you have to keep digging?! Can't you just drop it?" I snapped. Olivia sighed before climbing out of my car. Before I even started up the engine again, Olivia was opening the door and leaning in to look at me.

She looked angry, and I knew I was the reason. But I still didn't feel like talking about my feelings. I didn't feel like discussing the fact that I may or may not be falling for her when I promised her that this relationship was all an act. I didn't want to settle down.

"You are such a dick sometimes, Rafa. The way you shut down when asked about your feelings... All I wanted to know is if you might like me, or not. But instead I get the asshole treatment that I got when we first met. I have put years into this friendship, and I deserve better than how you are treating me. So maybe if you can't pull your head out of your ass... then tell your mother that we broke up. That I cheated on you and then we can end this fake shit and our fake friendship." She spat.

I swallowed hard as Olivia slammed the door before stomping up the stairs of the building. I restrained myself from going after her, because I didn't want her to know how I really feel.