21

•♧•♤•♢•♡•♡•♢•♤•♧•

•♧•♤•♢•♡•♡•♢•♤•♧•

"I didn't hire you simply to get us across the Fold. You're with us because you smuggle Grisha out of the Little Palace, and that's the location of our target."

Nesta felt a little guilty for keeping some information from them that could possibly be of use. For example, for the first ten years of her life she had lived in the Little Palace. But that was too much information about her past that she didn't want them to know.

"Sun Summoner."

"Alleged."

Nesta nudged Kaz gently. She didn't like talking or hearing about anything that was related to her past, but she didn't like how Kaz was acting towards Inej and her faith.

"They wouldn't keep a fraud in the most secure location in all of Ravka," Inej said.

She was sitting in front of Nesta with Jesper next to her and the Conductor next to him.

Kaz ignored her.

"You said you have a contact who can get us inside. A Heartrender."

The older man gave a positive hum.

"How do I know we can trust her?"

"Nina grew up there," he informed them.

Nesta raised her gaze to the Conductor sharply. Nina?

"Most Grisha grew up in the Little Palace. Very few would betray their general—"

Nesta tore her gaze away and looked at the ground. Her mother had betrayed the General.

"—and fewer still would help foreigners kidnap their most prized possession."

"Nina's a radical. Thinks Grisha should get to choose if they serve the Crown. She despises involuntary service more than she does Fjerdans."

That didn't sound like the Nina she knew. Maybe it was some other Heartrender named Nina? That seemed unlikely. It had been years since she last saw her friend, her views could have changed.

"Nina! We can't go there! We'll get caught and then we'll get in trouble!"

Her eight year old best friend laughed.