75

-Harry

"You shouldn't of come here."

I winch as another strip of bandage tape is applied to the cut across my right temple, "Yeah, you said that already."

"I meant it." Margo sighs, looking over my forehead for any more cuts that need tending. "Showing up here like you did is to risky.

I tense my jaw, my mind replaying the last several hours.

I'd abandoned the wrecked car and Arthur's body on the street, not knowing what else to do when I heard sirens in the distance closing in. I was disoriented, my head still pounding from it's impact on the car door as I made my way to the closest tube station. I'm sure I looked a fright to the other passengers on the train, my white shirt almost completely red from all the blood covering it. But I didn't give a shit.

My only thought was of getting to her.

In hindsight, showing up at Carter's townhouse and banging on the front door probably wasn't the smartest move. I've been through enough with Carter at this point to know pissing him off would never garner a positive outcome. But I couldn't help myself. It was the only place I knew to go. But of course she wasn't here, Carter had her somewhere I'd probably never be able to find.

The only luck I'd come across was Margo being the one who answered the door. Quickly ushering me inside, through the house, and out the back into the garden. After hiding me away in a corner, she'd retrieved a first aid kit and then demanded answers.

I hesitated at first, then decided that if Everly trusted Margo, I should as well. So I told her the lot of it. The bits that I knew anyway. Some, as I expected, she already knew. Others, like the fact Arthur was alive until just over an hour ago, were a shock.

"There, I think that's the last of it." I'm pulled back to the present by Margo's voice as she looks over her handiwork.

I reach up, feeling the small bandages now on my forehead. "Not bad. Thanks."

"No problem." Margo places a few items back in the first aid kit before focusing on me, "I have to get inside Arthur's apartment. I need to see what evidence he has."

"Not sure if that's a good idea."

"Not a good idea?"

"Arthur found out Carter has someone in the FBI working for him."

Margo's forehead wrinkles in surprise, "And you think that could be me?"

"No," I answer honestly, "But it could be whoever you'd report to about what you find in Arthur's apartment."

"It isn't."

"You can't know that for sure, can you?"

"We know he has someone on the inside. We're just not sure who exactly that is at this point."

"Then it could be the person you report to." I point out.

"Then what's your plan?" Margo sighs, running her hands through her dark hair, "Harry... You need my help. WE need each other's help. Not only to end all this, but to make sure Everly makes it out of this alive."

"I just... I don't want to make a wrong move. " I exhale, suddenly feeling the weight of this decision.

Any decision from here out could mean the difference between life and death.

Between's Everly's life and death.

Margo remains silent as I consider my options. At this point I'm in this alone. And I'm far to new in the game to take on Carter solo.