fifty-four

Would you do it?

If your best friend asked you for a favor, would you do it?

I guessed the answers could be varied and by varying, I mean it had to do with lots of things. Lots of facts. The task they asked you to accomplish. The situation you both were in, and the most importantly who that person was.

When Luke asked me for a favor, I couldn't help but say yes to him. Did I regret it? It was still too fast to tell. But given the situation I was in, I couldn't afford losing another person in my life who actually gave an eff about me.

With Luke in the picture, I definitely felt much better and safer now. Apart from Giovanna, he was this other person who had always been looking out for me, protecting me, and sticking up with me through difficult times. From the very first day I set foot into the Luciano Mansion, he was one of the reasons I chose to stay. It was like he was the only other person who speak my language. He gets me. And I get him. Although lately, he had been behaving differently and it might seem a little absurd under any normal circumstances. But desperate times call for desperate measures and at the moment— Luke is desperate.

Looking down at my sweaty palms, I rubbed them dry with the bed sheet. A deep breathe slowly taken in, then hastily out, I used to feel like I could say everything and anything whenever he was around, but now only the idea of him stepping into the room terrified me.

A soft knocking burst upon the door. Entered into my hospital room was a kind-looking lady, dressed in a nurse's uniform. Her dirty blonde hair neatly tied up in a bun. She looked like she was around my age perhaps, a year or two older.

When she finally looked up at me, her concern was evident on her face.

"Glad to see you're awake, Miss." She smiled and breathed a deep sigh of relief. My eyes automatically dropped to the green folder she was holding to her chest. She then opened it and began scribbling something down on a sheet of paper, "How're you feeling this morning?"

"I am okay." I mumbled, weakly and she gave me a nod in apparent satisfaction.

"Let me alert the doctor that you're awake." She said before reaching behind me and pressed on a red button on the wall, "Doctor will be with you in just a moment. Meanwhile, I am going to check your blood pressure and temperature. Is that alright?"

"Of course." I nodded and leaned back comfortably into the pillows, "How long have I been asleep?" I asked while the nurse busy wrapping the blood pressure cuff around my arm. She checked her watch, briefly meeting my gaze.

"It's half past one in the afternoon right now. I would say about sixteen hours."

"Wow." I gasped. I knew it had been some time since I went missing from Mrs. Luciano's birthday party, but I didn't know it was going to be that long.

Sixteen hours of not knowing where I was and who I was with, for sure Liam was going to freak out. There was no questions. The only question I had was probably what he was up to, and if he was still searching for me or had already given up.

Though, the second point I feel was a far more reasonable and realistic provision. I wasn't trying to get my hopes up too high. We are divorced now. The only reason he would still be looking out for me was probably because of the baby.

And then it hit me.

"T-the baby...h-how is-" I was stuttering like I was about to lose my head.