6. [Where I Became Trapped In Memory Lane And An Unexpected Vistor Visits}

"What is stronger than the human heart which shatters over and over and still lives."

- Rupi Kaur

{Renee POV--- 6 years later.}

Come on mama's baby lets go see grandma. I was putting Ciara in her car seat when my phone started ringing. I took my phone out of my back pocket, and smiled once I seen who was calling me. I clicked on the answer button, and held the phone up to my ear.

"Hey August. Wassup?" I asked

"Hey baby girl. Where you at? Everybody's waitin' fa' you."

"I'm coming August. I had to get Ciara ready." I said as I heard the loud music playing in the background.

"Okay well hurry up. Call me if you need anything. I'll see you when you get hea'. Bye." He said before the call ended, not giving me a chance to say anything back.

I got in the drivers seat. I put the key in the ignition and backed out of the driveway. Over the past year my life has been great. My mom went to rehab. Everything has been great.

I was cruising down the street about to get on the highway when this big truck came out of no where and hit me. My car was doing flips and I couldn't hear nothing but my baby crying. A few minutes later she stopped crying. Right then and there I knew I lost my baby.

*********

Bang bang. I could hear gunshots. August and I started running to the car.

''August baby wait. Where's Mel?" I asked as I could feel myself begin to panic.

"Fuck he was right behind us. Get in 'da car and wait hea'. If I'm not back in five minutes leave wit'out me." He said sternly

"August no I'm not going without you." I grabbed a hold onto his arm, and he lightly shook me off.

"Renee get your ass in 'dis damn car and wait god dammit." He said now raising his voice. I jumped a little and just. I just got in the car. I wasn't gonna stay in this car I wanted to make sure August and Mel was okay. I got out of the car, and ran down the street looking for them. I'll be damned if anything happened to them. I don't think I could live with myself. I already lost my baby. I kept running down the street when I saw August holding Mel's body in his lap.

"August?" I said about to run up to them

"Renee didn't I tell your ass to- RENEE RUN!" August said screaming. When I looked beside me there he was. Darien was holding a gun to my head.

"P-p-please stop Darien"

Bang bang bang

I woke up screaming to the top of my lungs. I turned my alarm off and looked at my sheets on my bed. The sheets were now soaked due to my sweating. ended up leaving New Orleans. The streets weren't for me and after all the drama, I had to leave. New Orleans held too many memories. I moved to Atlanta, Georgia to make a better living for myself. I moved my mom down here with me after she got out of rehab. She lives with me for now, until her house is finished being built. Which should be done in the next 3 weeks or so. I was very happy August finally left the streets alone and I'm thankful for that cause I wouldve been devastated if I had to attend another funeral.