ten.

I watched the clock nervously again. After spending the entire day locked up in my room, the only thing I was even remotely excited about was Ashton's phone call. Ashton. That name brought a lot of changes into my life. I guess everyone needs an emotional rollercoaster. Right?

I couldn't help but grin, when my phone vibrated, but I realized it was Jordan, not Ashton. I read the text, and my heart literally sunk into my stomach.

Max in hospital. Come quick.

I noticed the tone of the text. Jordan gave no comfort in this text whatsoever. In fact, he was asking me to come. But what was I going to do? I was beyond upset, maybe even a little drunk. I don't know.

As if on cue, my phone started ringing. Ashton's phone call. Well, he's the only one who can help.

Without saying a hello, I went straight to the point. "I need a ride to the hospital."

"Is everything okay?"

"I'll explain later," I promised. Ashton quickly told me he'd be there in five. How convenient.

But that's what it was- convenient. He could be slaying a fire-breathing dragon, and if I asked him to tie my shoe, he'd race to be by my side. I couldn't keep that thought out of my head. My brother's life is in danger, and all I can think about is my petty love life. Love life? Since when has Ashton been a part of my love life?

He had come. As promised. And he took me to the hospital. It was there that I got the surprise of my life.

Mum and Dad were there. Mum was crying. Dad had his head in his hands. Jordan's eyes said it all. I started shaking my head. "This isn't happening."

They all looked at me. Jordan was the first to speak. "It was happening again. He fainted. We took him to the hospital. He... didn't make it that far."

"No," was all I managed to squeak out.

"Bella," Ashton whispered, and pulled me into an embrace.

Dad looked at me with a pained expression. He inhaled deeply and said,"well, I better make some phone calls."

"Uncle Ben," Jordan started to say.

"No, I should probably arrange everything."

I watched my father deal with his distress, and shut my eyes when I heard footsteps approaching us.

I hesitantly pulled out of Ashton's grip, and turned around. I was instantly pulled into a hug by Audrey, and Allison joined in. I almost smiled, but then I heard more footsteps coming from behind them. The boys. Of course. And even worse, all five of them.

"Allison told me someone was in the hospital," Louis said. Of course, Alli told him. She can't keep her mouth shut around him, can she?

They all looked fresh out of a club, if I was honest. I don't know if it was the attire, or the atrocious smell. It must've rubbed off, though. They don't look drunk.

"Bella?" I looked up from the floor and made eye contact with Louis. He flicked his head in Harry's direction, and I forced my eyes to trail over to him. Hair ruffled, shirt unbuttoned. It was the classic, Harry Styles-look. I created that look. Of course, the forest green eyes that were glaring at me are not a part of that look.

Jordan walked over, and put a protective arm around me. "Max..."

"Forget it, Jordan. I'll tell them. Max is dead. Yeah, you heard me. He's dead."

"Well, it's not hard to get your heart broken by you," Harry sarcastically remarked.

"Hey," Ashton said, after a while. He was so quiet, I forgot he was there.

"Oh, he's here too. Don't forget, Irwin. I've punched your pretty face, before," Harry threatened.

"It's not like you care," I said loudly, defending Ashton.

"Watch your mouth," Harry snapped.

Without thinking, I lunged forward and pushed him to the ground, landing on the cold, marble floor. Harry groaned, and my breath was heavy, as I looked at him carefully. We made eye contact for a split second, and I wanted to start crying again. My heart was racing when he put a hand on my back, but I then realized that he was just trying to get me off of him so he could get up. I felt Ashton helping me up, and I reluctantly held out my hand to help Harry up too.

To my surprise, he took it. Then, even more surprisingly, he said, "I'm sorry, for what I said. It was uncalled for. I'm very sorry for your loss." He gave me a pained smile, then moved on to talk to Mum. I was at a loss for words, and I turned to Ashton for help.

He seemed to have read my mind, and shrugged. "I don't know what that was about."

Whatever was going on with Harry, or Ashton, now was not the time. I just lost my brother. My baby brother. I had to put aside my issues, or I'd forget how valuable my family is.

No elder sister can say that they always enjoyed their little brother's company. But I can. Max and I just had that special relationship.

He was the sweetest boy on the planet. He even brought home a goddamn homeless man! That's the thing. He'd be the most loving guy to anyone, no matter who they are. I've always wanted that quality, but to Max, it came naturally.

In these last few days, I didn't spend as much time as I should've.

You don't appreciate what you have until you are forced to lose them.

A/N:
sorry for the late update..i say that all the time, ik ik.

if you're reading this, thank you! you guys are amazing.

so i know i promised i would tell the story of what happened with the aneurysm thing.

my dad has a cousin, who got married in december. i didn't go to the wedding, but some of my family members did, and they all had a great time. she looked so amazing, and happy and it was really cute.

fast forward to february and i came home one day only to find out that she had died. she was puking and had head aches for days, and one day she was just unconscious. they took her to the hospital in an ambulance, but she didn't make it that far.

let's clear one thing up. i had met her twice, probably a day each. i was definitely not the last person on her mind. but the thing is, each time i met her, she was amazing. she was beautiful, inside and out. i went to her house a couple of years ago, and she treated me with so much hospitality, that i really really wish it was longer.

yeah, i know this isn't some super personal story that'll give you a true insight to my life. but, it really affected me, and it influenced this happening and max's character.

so if you read all of this, thank you again. you're all awesome!

love always,
midnightxmemoriesx