nine

It's short. A filler. But y'all can deal. I have much updating to do tonight. I promise to have at least one more by tonight. Vote + Comment!!

Caine was allowed to go back to Coates a few days later. Not that he wanted to, but even that hell hole was better than the hospital. Luckily for him, he still didn't have to attend any classes for the rest of the week, so most of his time was spent beating all of Drake's video game high scores. He had barely left his dorm all week. He would lie and say it was because he didn't need to, but it was mainly because he was avoiding Nurse Temple. He felt it was a conversation that wasn't necessary, and he knew she would want to talk about it.

Diana walked in then, carrying a coke she stole from the kitchens. She tossed it at Caine. He caught it and realized what would happen if he opened it. He saw her smile and knew she had planned that.

"I realized something today." She said, her tone growing serious.

"What's that?" Caine asked while looking for a book. He had tons of them, but none of them seemed interesting anymore. They were all so unrealistic and predictable, the hero gets the girl and kills the bad guy. That's why Caine prefered older stuff, like Dickens, he gave the bad guys a shot, and sometimes gave them redemption. Caine had always thought that was much more realistic, since real heroes never take risks or look out for themselves, and usually end up dead at the bottom of the ocean or buried in shallow graves.

"We never talk." Diana said, breaking Caine out of his thought process.

"We are talking right now." Caine replied, confused.

"You know what I mean." He didn't. "We don't talk about problems or feelings."

At the mention of feelings, Caine's heart jumped, and not in the good way. And that's why we don't, he thought to himself.

"Can you imagine how it would feel if I died and we had all these unresolved things between us?" Diana asked. Caine couldn't, but he assumed by her tone that it wouldn't feel good. She continued. "I just think we should talk about important things more often. Like now."

Caine waited, assuming she had something she wanted to talk about, since she brought it up in the first place.

"Where are you going after we graduate?" She asked him.

"Umm... Home?" He offered, confused by the question.

Diana groaned dramatically. "Boys are all the same." She said to herself. "I meant college."

"Oh." Caine thought about it. He had never really planned life after Coates. In his mind he was stuck there forever. "I don't know."

"See, this is what I mean." She said, sitting next to him on the bed. "I've always wanted to go to college, but I highly doubt I could get in, especially not this year, but you are smart. You could get into Harvard without even trying."

"I don't want Harvard." He said, not having to think about it. "I want California, I want Perdido Beach, and I want you."

Diana sighed. "Okay." She said. "Then that's what you shall have."